Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    browneyedfaith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 07:55 PM
    Marriage
    Hello,

How does the Catholic church view marriage between a Catholic and Baptist? Thank you for your response to my question yesterday.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 10:17 AM
    The Baptist would need a dispensation by a Priest. Also, it would need to be in a Catholic Church for it to be recognized in the Catholic Church... or Blessed later if it was not in a Catholic Church.

The Catholic one of the two should definitely talk to his or her Priest.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 19, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Hello, basically the Church ( as does any denomination) normally feel that a marriage is best between two people of the same faith.

Because religion is a family event, going to church together as a family.
    You see in the bible, when the head of the household converted he would have his entire household baptised,

And while both are Christian, esp in some baptist teachings, it is the baptist who may have issues with the Catholic Church. Our local Christian radio station for example is owned and operated by an independent batpist group. They have gone as far as called Catholic teachings of Satan and the such. So the question could be much closer asked what the baptist would think about it.

But if you wish to get married within the Catholic Church there will have to be agreements to raise the children Catholic and permission by the priest and normally dispensation by the local Bishop.

For the Catholics marriage is deemed and looked at, not only as the civil contract which it is in the US, but also as one of the Sacrements of the Church, so to be a valid sacrement it has to be done or blessed by the priest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my marriage last? [ 10 Answers ]

I have been married for 16 months but I don't trust my husband. I am 8 months pregnant and need to know before its too late for my baby if he is going to cheat and if we will last

Marriage at 18 [ 10 Answers ]

I'll be 18 in two weeks and Im a E-3 in the U.S Marines Corps and I leave to Iraq in June,my fiancée will be 18 in April and we want to get married in May, is that to early?!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Will my marriage last? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my D.O.B is 12-17-1983 am getting married in 2 months I want to know if my marriage will last /will I have any children ?and how many ?and is my fiancé cheating on me?my email address is [email protected] Please Help!! :( :( :( :(

Marriage to be or not to be [ 5 Answers ]

My finacee (25) and I (24) have been together for over a year. We have one son together that is 8 months old, we currently do not live together. He has primary custody of his other 2 kids (a 5 year old and 3 year old). His ex wife is a raging witch and always a thorn in our sides. SHe uses the...

View more questions Search