Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Jan 17, 2010, 04:43 PM
    What's the best way to keep occupied?
    I just want to know what people think. I get bored sometimes. I'm usually home a lot, I don't have a car, not too many hang out friends. I love to read... I do that a lot when I am bored. I was just wondering what everyone else does to stay occupied. Thanks for the help
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 17, 2010, 11:46 PM

My favorite ways to pass time in no particular order are:
    • Making money.
    • Wood/metalworking.
    • Video gaming.
    • Answering questions on AMHD.
    • Home improvement.

I have more projects pending than I will ever accomplish in this lifetime. Are you saying you can look around and not see something that could be improved?
    Yosomoton213 Posts: 174, Reputation: 45

Jan 18, 2010, 01:44 AM

Maybe you can make new friends, or strengthen your "acquaintences" into "friends that hang out"?
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 02:04 AM

Volunteer-its one of the most satisfying ways of spending your time there is.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 07:01 AM

Exercise. Does wonders and it is free. Volunteering is also a wonderful way to fill time like Amicon said (had to spread).
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 07:52 AM
    Hi, HotPotato2009!

Are you interested in playing a musical instrument, singing or learning about music theory?

Thanks!
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 08:12 AM

I love doing courses,it takes up quite a bit of time and there is a big commitment involved.

I read,I write,I walk,I walk the dog,I anwer questions on AMHD,and there's always something to paint,clean or wash, around the house.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 09:31 AM
    What do you mean by "doing courses", redhed35?

Thanks!
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    What do you mean by "doing courses", redhed35?

Thanks!

Last year I did a adult literacy tutor training course,I finished a certified health care course which included 8 modules,a first aid course,followed by a first responder course,and train the trainer... this year I'm doing a youth worker course...

I'm a course junkie.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 05:26 PM

I like to knit (haha, I know, I know... BUT I LOVE IT), I like to watch TV-shows... I usually buy TV shows on DVD and watch it when ever I have nothing else to do.

I don't valuntair myself, but it's a great option though, fills your time, gives positive experiences...

Jan 21, 2010, 08:07 AM

Sorry you guys. Haven't been on. I appreciate all the ideas.

Clough - playing an instrument sounds like something I would be interested in. I kind of like the violen and the drums. Piano is fine too

I do a lot of reading, listening to music and playing video games. I don't have a lot of "hang out" friends, so... thats why I asked.

I want to try to keep myself occupied some more rather than worrying so much about what people are doing around me
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 12:05 PM
    How's the public transportation system in your area? Do you want to make new friends or are you looking more for things to do at home? Volunteering is a great way to meet friends. Do you work or go to school?

Jan 21, 2010, 12:49 PM

Public transportation runs pretty good in my area. I would likd to have both. Making new friends and doing more stuff at home. I work
    Family & People Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotPotato2009 View Post
    Public transportation runs pretty good in my area.
    There you go, you don't need a car, save some money, better for the environment! You just need to join some activities, courses, events, sports, basically put yourself out there to meet new people.

Jan 22, 2010, 08:51 AM

How does a person put thereself out there though?
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 08:52 AM
    Have you ever seen the movie "Yes Man"? It is a pretty good movie to watch after a break up. Basically you take advantage of opportunities, no matter how scared you might be. Just say "yes" to different social events, making yourself available to a wide range of possibilities.

Jan 22, 2010, 08:54 AM

No I never saw that movie.

Oh
    Family & People Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:05 AM
    As listed in post #14: "Join some activities, courses, events, sports, volunteer, etc."

Hang out more often with the friends that you have. How about friends of friends? Hanging out with co-workers? Friends of co-workers?

How big is your company? Can't you form an events committee? How about being the organizer?

Jan 22, 2010, 11:21 AM

Yeah I guess I could do that.

I am a temp worker at my job so the company is but so big for me lol
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 01:18 PM
    Sorry you guys. Havent been on. I appreciate all the ideas.

Clough - playing an instrument sounds like something I would be interested in. I kinda like the violen and the drums. piano is fine too

I do alot of reading, listening to music and playing video games. I dont have alot of "hang out" friends, so...thats why I asked.

I want to try to keep myself occupied some more rather than worrying so much about what people are doing around me
    I'm certainly willing to work with you on this site to be able to have skills in doing things musically. I've done that with a number of people on this site.

If interested in knowing more about how to do that here, please let me know on this thread.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord showing apartment while occupied [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is legal for a landlord to show an apartment while it is still occupied. I have satisfied my lease and am moving in 30 days. She keeps giving my telephone number to people who are calling me wanting to view. I told her to stop so now she is going to just show the place...

Is my house occupied by a spirit/demon? [ 17 Answers ]

Hi guys, First of all I'd like to say that I'm new here and Hello. Second, I'm glad that I've found this sight on Paranormal Phenomena, we've had stuff going on in our house/apartment for a while now and my husband does not believe me. It's started happening a long time ago back when we first...

Requirement for Owner Occupied Condominium (CA) [ 3 Answers ]

We purchased a duplex and are converting it to a 2-unit condominium. The local Planning Commission and City Council have already approved the rezoning. We are about ready to submit the CC&R document along with the tentative site map. We want to include a provision that both units must be owner...

Occupied Japan cups and saucers [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the value of "made in Occupied Japan" china? I have a few cups and saucers that I've inherited from grandparents. I'd like to sell them but have no idea of their value. Any good websites where I might find the answers?

View more questions Search