Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dirty_Harry Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 06:10 PM
    New Graphics Card
    I have a 9800pro. I want a new AGP graphics card with a good performance increase from this for about £100.

PCI-E is out of the question so don't bother.

Also the graphics on my MOBO is DDR, will other types of DDR such as DDR2 and DDR3 graphics cards work on this?

The MOBO is an Abit V-10.
    OvenFrank Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 02:04 PM
    Look up ATI site. Radeon 9800 Pro has DDR2.
    Your motherboard VA-10 is a Socket-A?
    The problem is to find an AGP card on the market. It depends on where you live.
    Here in Canada the top AGP cards on sale like Asus N6800/TD-GeForce 6800 and Sapphire Radeon X1600Pro cost less, and Radeon X1650Pro slightly more than you are willing to pay.
    These cards have DDR2 memory on board.

Good place to see video card comparisons is http://www23.tomshardware.com.

Cheers.

Nov 19, 2006, 04:42 PM
    The reason I ask about the DDR3 is because of this http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=499563

Or if that's not possible would you say a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS would be a decent option?

Since that is DDR2

Nov 19, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Or if that's not possible would you say a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS would be a decent option?
    Since that is DDR2

Unlike the GeForce 7800GS, the GeForce 7600GS's price is reasonable and it's a medium range card. That means you can use this board to play the latest games, with anisotropic filtering and Anti-Aliasing at medium resolutions (1024x768 and 1280x1024) with playable frame rates. However, the 7600GS is not aimed for the extremely high resolutions such as 1600x1200 and above. But, in some cases, you will be able to play it in these high resolutions but without Anisotropic Filtering and Anti-Aliasing.

GeForce 7600GS is beating the RADEON X1600PRO . This card can be a great upgrade path for all the AGP users out there. Compares well to the 7800GS because 7800GS is overpriced.

In Canada it cost 74 pounds.

Needs minimum 350W supply.

Sorry, I probably misunderstood you. Are you asking that your motherboard can have a AGP video card with DDR3 memory on the board? Yes, you can. It has nothing to do with the motherboard.

Nov 21, 2006, 08:27 AM
    That's what I wanted to hear cheers. My power supply is bang on 350W.

And how would you say the 7600GS compares with the XFX 7600GT that I mentioned in my first post?

Thanks again

Nov 21, 2006, 01:58 PM
    buy the XFX 7600GT. You will be not disappointed.
    Both model have 128 memory bus, 12 pixel shader units, but GT cards definitively outscore the GS models because of their higher memory speed (800 versus 1400 MHz effective).
    While the GS can be over-clocked and the GT can't, the GT's clock speeds are so much higher, that the GS can't match it.

Other choice for the 7600GS card: Radeon X1650 Pro (12/128/1400)

Nov 21, 2006, 03:06 PM
    That's great thanks for the advice, I think I'll go for the GT :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Graphics Card Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I recently purchased a GeForce 6200 256MB AGP graphics card for online gaming. The card works fine as do the games but I am no longer able to use windows live (msn) messenger or some other software that has video clips in it. The computer just freezes when I try to launch the messenger. Also...

Graphics Driver [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all! I was wondering.. In my desktop I have a Intel 82815 Graphic Controller(driver).. something is wrong with it. It keeps making my computer crash. The Intel guys say they no longer use this driver and will not give any information on it.. Is there another driver I can download to replace the...

Need help with a new graphics card [ 4 Answers ]

OK the help I need is some generous soul to lend me $1999 for This Stonker !!!. I'll even time share it if you want ;)

Z buffering Graphics [ 2 Answers ]

Hello people, I hope you can help. After unclicking a box in windows I had to reinstall windows 98se over the top of my present OS. Since then a few things have happened although all my files and programs are OK, the most annoying thing is my games don't work. On Toca Touring cars all I get is a...

Xp graphics [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently installed xp on my pc it went on OK but to get the screen to display xp I have to uninstall my graphics card it is a radion a t I. Has anyone got any ideas please john

View more questions Search