Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tippy1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 11:05 AM
    I have allergies
    I have allergies to animal fur/hair/dander. We already have a 5 yer old cat and wish to adopt a small dog Any insight into what type of dog due to 1) allergies and 2) to be compatible with our cat?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2010, 11:12 AM

No, if you seriously have alergies to animal fur, you really need to consider getting rid of the cat for your health, not adding more animals
    Tippy1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 11:18 AM

Sorry if I was not clear; my cat is not causing alleric reations. I only get allergies around most dogs but can not ID which ones. That is why I am asking for information.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 17, 2010, 12:11 PM

There are several breeds that don't produce as much dander or shed as most dogs do.

What you are looking for are the so-called 'hypoallergenic' breeds (cross-breeds). This site has a good list of the breeds that might be compatible with your allergies:
    Dogs Good For Allergy Suffers, Hypo-allergenic dogs

Keep in mind that you will need to contact reputable breeders (or breed specific rescues) in your area and check out animals individually. Most good breeders will have socialized their animals with other dogs and animals and know which ones do not get along well with other animals.

IF you choose to go to your local animal shelter, contact them ahead of time and explain what you are looking for in an animal. Ask them if there is any way that you could meet possible candidates for new family members in an area away from those who would definitely affect your allergies.

Keep in mind that not only are you needing an animal that is cat-friendly, your cat has to be open to being dog-friendly.

Word of caution, most hypoallergenic breeds that I am aware of tend to be very smart and need owners who are consistent in enforcing the family rules even after the animal seems trained (training never stops). Play is still a part of training. The owner is always the pack leader.

I would suggest taking at least two-three months to find a suitable animal. That way you can explore all your options and take care not to get an animal from a puppy mill or backyard breeder. You want an animal that is as healthy and disorder free (reputable breeders do testing to ensure a greater chance at having a healthy animal) as you can find because an unhealthy animal could be very unhealthy for you.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 12:25 AM

In regards to identifying what breeds you are allergic to I would suggest going to a local dog show.
    That way you get to see all of the dogs and talk to breeders and showers about a particular breed.
    If you are lucky you may get to spend time with the dogs after they have been shown and hopefully you will have an idea of how your allergies are going to react.

Most people at shows are willing to help out potential buyers to ensure their breed is right for them.
    There are only 2 people that show Great Danes in our state so my mom always gets asked about them by people just coming to watch the show. She doesn't mind at all, in fact she loves talking about them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Allergies - again [ 4 Answers ]

My GSD is having a terrible problem with allergies (again). I have changed her diet (now she's on venison and rice), which is making her even more miserable. She wants her kibble and dog food and chicken back! The Vet has placed her back on steroids and I see her personality changing before my...

Allergies? [ 3 Answers ]

I know when you have a piercing infection you have to keep the ring on and clean it more and press it with hot water , but what if its not a infection but it's a allergic reaction to the jewellery what are you supposed to do ?

Allergies [ 4 Answers ]

:( I have horrible allergies and I was just wondering if anyone knows any medicines that work well? I'm currently on Singulair and it isn't helping much. I have been on so many different kinds of allergy medications, but none seem to be working. I have missed several days of school because I have...

View more questions Search