Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hslove142331 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 02:53 PM
    What pressure is required to compress.
    What pressure is required to compress 180mL of gas at constant temperature to a volume of 24mL if the initial pressure is 300mmHg?

How can I do this problem?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2010, 09:04 AM

Use the same principle as in your other thread, but this time, it is the temperature remaining constant and is thus crossed out of the equation.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/chemis...re-435927.html

Remember to convert your units of pressure into Pascal, the SI unit of pressure.

Jan 20, 2010, 02:05 PM
    P1V1=P2V2

(xkPa)(180mL)=(40kPa)(24mL)

x=5.33 kPa

correct?

I changed mmHg to Pascal. (300mmHg=40kPa) but I am not sure I changed correctly.

so my answer is 5.33kPa correct?
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 06:33 AM

Hmm, if you look in your answer, you'll find that it's not good.

Compressing a gas means that you have to increase the pressure. In your answer, it said that you decreased the pressure from 40kPa to 5.33kPa. (yes, the conversion is good)

Initial volume is 180 mL
    Initial pressure is 40 kPa

Hence,

This time, you should have 300 kPa or 2250mm of mercury.

If you liked my answer, could you rate it please? Thanks! :)

Jan 21, 2010, 11:31 AM
    So, finally my I got 300kPa! Correct?
    Thank you so much!
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 09:45 AM

Yes! Well done! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to compress or fade audio clip [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I am not exactly computer savvy. I am trying to upload an audio clip to a website, but it is to big. I need to compress it or fade (?). I am not real sure how to do this, so any advice would be great. I have the audio saved in my limewire...

Is a pressure balance valve required for a hand shower on a whirlpool tub top? [ 6 Answers ]

We installed a whirlpool tub in our master bath with a Grohe Roman Tub Filler.(25 506) I went for the model with separate hot and cold handles (no temperature control or pressure balance) because it could fill the tub much faster (30+ gallons). The filler also has a hand shower with an internal...

NO AC, compress on but no fan [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I turn my AC on for the first time this year. The compressor outside came on but the fan does not come on, in the furnace. I hear nothing going on in the furnace. The heat works fine. The controller board was change over the winter. Any ideas??

Garage door spring, compress or expand? [ 2 Answers ]

I weighed my door then bought a second hand spring for a 7 x 9 door. I was told turn it approx. 8 rotations. I know to be careful , use visegrips as a backup and keep my face away. The question is do I expand or compress the spring? Thanks!

Compress Screen [ 1 Answers ]

Often when I start up my computer I get a compressed screen in the center of my screen. I have no idea what causes this, so I don't know how to fix it. I recently had a new mother board and processor put in, and had my hard drive reformated. So I was not expecting any problems. This problem has...

View more questions Search