Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 10:46 AM
    I want to remove a glass block wall
    we bought a condo that has a glass block wall, floor to ceiling, measuring 8.67' x 8.67'. Each block is an 8 " square, 3 " deep. There are a total of 169 blocks. What is the safest, cleanest method of removing it? See attached photo.
    Thanks
    Ron
    Attached Images

RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2006, 12:21 PM
    I think I'd do it with a sawzall (reciprocating saw).

Using a drill, drill holes at the corners of the circumference enough to get a long sawblade into.

Cut around the circumference, then cut along whichever horizontal and vertical "seams" will leave you with cut-out sizes you want to handle... then use a rubber mallet to knock them out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2006, 03:50 PM
    That is a wonderful wall I would love to have it in my home, are you sure you want to get rid of it.

But Ricks idea sounds good to me to.
    silverwillow49 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 20, 2008, 02:09 PM
    I just removed a 240 glass block shower from my bathroom, with only 12 fatalities! Leaving me with 228 glass blocks... use a cold chisel... 4 inch and a baby sledge. Place the cold chisel right in the middle of the mortar joint and go completely around the block, pounding pretty hard, safety glasses are a must, because when they break, they turn into these little razor chards, and they have a vacuum, so they pop when they break... kind of scary. If you start at the top and go straight across, it's easier than trying to go vertical.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 20, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Silverwillow has this one nailed, use a chisel. Once you get a few blocks loose the rest will come out whole. Start near the top row maybe two rows down. Chisel around one block on all 4 sides and then the block on each side. Those guys will come loose but mat crack but nrearly all the rest will pop with a chisel hit under the bottom edge.
    ukbuild Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Place a bucket on the floor bellow the block you choose to start with ( To catch Debri)
    Walk around to the other side of screen, place a folded newspaper over the same block and hit it with a hammer.

The block will pop and shatter, remove newspaper and push all debri through to fall into bucket.

Now you can just wobble the blocks by hand (Beaking mortar and grout with a chisel as you go) this way you should only lose one block and the rest once cleaned will sell on eBay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Building new shower with glass block [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to build a new 36' x 48" shower with glassblock on 1 1/2 sides, no shower door and tile on the other 2 walls. My question is: Is it best to buy a premade shower pan that is strong enough to hold the weight of the glass block on the caps or build my own? If prefab, any recommendations;...

Frameless shower door installed on glass block [ 1 Answers ]

I am faced with trying to install a frameless shower door on glass block. The problem is that with the weight of the 3/8" door and the spacing of the hinges;it is not feasible to anchor the hinges into the grout joints. Any suggestions?

Mold on outside cinder block wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have black mold growing on my outside cinder block wall sourendering my back yard. I live in Las Vegas so the climate is dry but watering the lawns is causing the mold to grow since we have to water in the evenings so the water does evaporate so fast due to the hot climate. How do I remove this...

Cinder block sitting wall construction help [ 1 Answers ]

I have contracted to have a cinder block with stone accent, and flagstone top installed. The wall is to be 24" high. The landscaper that I contracted with is using a sub on the wall. I over heard the sub telling the landscape company that he need more gravel and mortar for filling in the...

Glass Block Shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to install a glass block shower in my bathroom. I am going to (hopefully) attach the Door directly to the glass block. My understanding is that I put anchors in the morter joints to hold the door. My question is about finishing. How would I finish the block around the door? It...

View more questions Search