Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abdulkadir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2010, 01:32 AM
    What is da difference between shia and sunni
    I want to know is the difference between sunni and shia because here wher I stay there are a lot of shias and I am a sunni
    And is matam allowed in islam if not then why do shias beat themselves.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2010, 02:07 AM

1) Shiah or Shia, noun.1. one of the two great Moslem sects, centered in Iran, which regards Ali, the son-in-law of Mohammed, as the true successor of Mohammed and rejects the first three caliphs and the Sunnite book of tradition handed down under their protection.
    Ex. The Sunni... compose about 90 per cent of present-day Islam (Newsweek).
    You should know all about Sunnites, if you are one yourself.

Please see:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4tam
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2010, 03:35 PM

Salaams Abdul Kadir,
    "Matam", if you mean self harm, this is not allowed in Islam in any form.Shia followers practice this even though it is not permitted.

There are many other rituals that some muslims practice which are actually prohibited in Islam.Self harm is one such practice.

Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2010, 01:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    Salaams Abdul Kadir,
    "Matam", if you mean self harm, this is not allowed in Islam in any form.Shia followers practice this even though it is not permitted.

There are many other rituals that some muslims practice which are actually prohibited in Islam.Self harm is one such practice.

I agree, to me when other muslims do things such as this it seems to have it's roots in cultural practices and not islamic..
    korish Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 14, 2011, 02:54 PM
    I am a shia but I use my own sense to carve my course. I do matam but lightly and I cry like we grieve for our relatives remembering the atrocities perpetrated on the family of the Prophet PBUH. It's a good fitness exercise and if done within limits is healthy. It was started by Imam Zain ul Abideen , the only male survivor of Battle of Karbala. The activities done by Shias are to remember the spirtit of sacrifice and truthfulness displayed by the grandson of the Prophet PBUH and to adopt it in their personal lives. It also gives softness in mind, mercy, and righteousness. It is just like Qurbani of Hazrat Ibrahim which all muslims celebrate every year. The house of Yazid also has his proponents in the modern times who try to produce a heartless, cruel Islam in which people are slaughtered in the name of purifying Islam of bidats(bad practises). They deliberately underplay and undervalue the role of Prophet and his family so that they can protect their worldly thrones.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2011, 03:27 PM
    Shia and sunni are very similar. With on major difference. When the Prophet passed away, no one was quite sure who to follow. Should it be the Prophets descendant? Or should it be his most devout follower and most capable of the position.

Sunni believe the leadership of Islam should fall to the most capable and able.

Shia however, believe that leadership should have gone to his next of kin. Sort of a Monarchy style.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shia/Sunni marriage [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm a 22 yr old female, until last year I was not even sure what shia meant, but last year I fel in love with a shia from college, v both are madly in love and wish to spend our future together, my concern is not about shia beliefs or religion as I have done a detailed research on it and have...

Can A sunni Boy marry shia girl [ 14 Answers ]

Hi Sir, Is there any religios bindation about "Can a sunni Boy marry shia girl"

Sunni Shia marraiges [ 5 Answers ]

I am a Sunni girl and a Shia family proposed me but my parents are reluctant and don't want to marry with a Shia guy. They think that nikkah between Sunni and Shia is not allowed and their beliefs and practice are different. Can you please guide me that whether I can get marry with a Shia guy and...

The difference is. [ 13 Answers ]

I am just curious, what is the difference between dating someone and being in a relationship? My mother sparked my curiosity when my boyfriend and I got back together and he decided he really only wants to see me a couple times a week. We've been together for over a year and a half with only 2...

View more questions Search