Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sroytan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Dog with a liver infection who won't eat
    HELP- my dog has a liver infection- she is on antibiotics- the vet let her come home because she wouldn't eat. Now that she is home she just smells the food and turns away. I gave her ensure with baby rice cereal through a syringe because she wouldn't eat on her own. She now has eaten grass and thrown it up. The vet says she has to eat what can I give her to get her strength up while on on this medication:confused: :(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2006, 10:57 AM
    If the vet says she needs to eat, you need to find something she will eat in the short term, even if it is not the complete and balanced diet dogs need in the long term. If you have any meaty table scraps, offer her them. Maybe some cooked hamburger or chicken. Canned tuna or sardines? Stinky cat food?

The sooner you are able to get her back on a regular chow, the better. If when she is feeling better, she is still holding out for continuing the tasty expedients, get back, and I will help. In general, it is a mistake to tempt a dog with human food. In this case, your vet is saying you must do something.
    rikkijo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 06:55 AM
    My vet diagnosed my dog with a liver infection. She is on antibiotics and is refusing to eat. We do not see an improvement in her lethargy. How serious is this and is antiboitoics the correct course of treatment?
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Check ''My dog won't eat.'' at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 If it has only been a day or 2 and she isn't excessively thin by the guide in the sticky, you might see if she feels better in a day or 2 and starts eating. If the antibiotics work as expected, she may be herself in a day or 2.

My old Lab had several bouts of pneumonia last year. In each case, when she didn't eat, I took her straight to the vet. In a day or 2 after starting antibiotics, she was back to devouring her breakfast. You didn't say what breed your dog was. Most Labs are very food motivated.

RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2007, 12:56 PM
    LMAO labman! Love that pic! Heehee.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 3, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Yes, let's have a good time on this board while the topic is about a dog with liver failure... shall we.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 3, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Here is a list of food you might want to try
    - liverworse
    - sardines
    - meatloaf (made with oats,skip the sauce)
    - homemade chicken broth with brown rice (good if dog would rather drink)
    - tuna in juice
    - boiled liver with broth
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessyfay
    yes, let's have a good time on this board while the topic is about a dog with liver failure....shall we.
    Please check both posts above Jessyfay. The first one is actually from November and I assumed by now that her dog's problem is resolved. However, they both have dogs with liver infections. Neither poster mentioned liver failure. I do not see a problem with letting labman know that I appreciated a picture he posted. I felt the response he gave to both posters answered their questions and did not requre more input from me. I was not making light of either posters situation, I was reacting to the picture. I would never, ever poke fun at a dog or any living being, in liver failure. To suggest that I would do so, is rather rude on your part.
    akita Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

May 23, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sroytan
    HELP- my dog has a liver infection- she is on antibiotics- the vet let her come home because she wouldnt eat. Now that she is home she just smells the food and turns away. I gave her ensure with baby rice cereal through a syringe because she wouldnt eat on her own. She now has eaten grass and thrown it up. The vet says she has to eat what can I give her to get her strength up while on on this medication:confused: :(
    Liver Cleansing Diet

White potato + sweet potato (50/50) cooked
    White Fish lightly cooked eg: cod, halibut, mackerel, smelt, snapper etc
    Ratio is 2/3 of potato mix with 1/3 of fish . Season with mixed Italian Herbs or fresh parsely, salt and pepper. Later chopped carrots and green beans ( both cooked) can be added as can scrambled eggs. Yellow squash can also be added. Give a liquid child's multivitamin or a supplement such as Missing Link ( source of calcium)
    Uber Member

May 23, 2007, 08:19 PM
    If a dog has a liver or other bacterial infection it needs antibiotics. If it is viral, the best that can be done is relieving the symptoms and supporting the body and hope it fights it off on its own. I fail to see how such a diet can help. Can you refer me to a journal article showing that it can? Please spare me anecdotal evidence.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 11:04 PM
    labman wow... lol I see you spreading some love... the original thread started in nov 2006. akita: labman is the exspurt... just so u know.
    Ceez508 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rikkijo View Post
    My vet diagnosed my dog with a liver infection. She is on antibiotics and is refusing to eat. We do not see an improvement in her lethargy. How serious is this and is antiboitoics the correct course of treatment?
    this is very serious.if its not eatn its only going to get worse depending when u cought the infection.my advice get an x-ray an see how small its liver has got.if thers a god percentage left antibiotcs may get it back on track.if its small an considering its tiny already.sorry its not good.. I went threw this last week wit my dog .paid all the money for no reason an I think the vet knew my dog wastn going to make it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't eat [ 102 Answers ]

I have a German Sheperd that just won't eat!! We have tried dry food and meat but he just won't take it! If you have any ideas of how to fix this please let me know. Ill Try anything. Thanks heaps, dog_lover

Dog that won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have an 8 yr old Beagle who has cancer and has refused to eat ANYTHING in almost a week now. I have taken him to the vet for shots and steroids (supposedly to get his appetite going) and nothing has worked. Please help

My dog won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

My stop eating for the past 3 to 4 weeks. At first I try to mix in people food to it's dog food, because she'll eat people food. It works but then she started to leave out the dog food and just eat the people food. I took her to the vet times but they doesn't seem to help. Recently I can feel her...

Dog won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I have the same problem (as here) but worse. My pomeranian pups (3 pups healthy and eats on their own) 2 pups barely drinks water and nothing else. I feed a great fornula of milk(evap), yogurt, mayo, water and vitacal. But I seringe the formula in mouth every 3 hours. If I go longer than 6 hour...

My dog won't eat [ 1 Answers ]

My 7year old Chihuahua will go two days without eating and then throws up white foam and I don’t really have the money to bring her to the vet for a well test (that cost 300$.) It gets to the point where her dropping are red (the red I know is not blood because blood comes out black) and then...

View more questions Search