Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lost86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 04:09 AM
    What should I do?
    Hello
    I don’t know what to do about my siblings and my nephew. This may seem complicated or confusing but it is the only way I can explain. Ok, from my older sibling to my younger sibling we were adopted by our grandmother, our parents are no longer in the picture because of drugs. Then my grandmother passed, and my older sibling got custody of us plus she had her son, but because of her age at time she had joint custody with my aunt. Sadly my sister passed leaving us with my aunt. Now I’m 20 and in school, my siblings and nephew stay with my aunt, but it is not a good place to live, child protection services has been called more than once, some of the reports were false, but what is true is that there is neglect an there are people who are associated with drugs and my aunt was told by child protection services that they are not to be in the home, but my aunt still allows them to live in the home. So my siblings lie to the social worker just so they won’t be taken from the home and be split up. There are so many other problems behind this, but too much to discuss. There is no one in my family that will take on 4 children ranging from 16 to 7, so I want to get custody of them but I feel it is very unlikely because of my age and all the requirements I would have to meet. And if I do try and go for custody and everything is put out in court, and I don’t get custody, there will be no right judge who will put children back in my aunts custody, so where will that leave the children in foster homes and split up and this is the last thing I want. So I ask what can be the best thing for me to do, do I even have a chance to get custody?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2006, 04:30 PM
    Yes I don't see any issue with your age, and it should be a lot better than a foster home.

I am sorry for your losses.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 02:29 PM
    It's not so much your age but your income and ability to financially support 4 children that is the real question. Most 20 year-olds don't have enough earning power to take on 4 kids. Of course, the oldest is 16 and could maybe work part-time to help out. You can always try. It's possible that you could get custody of your siblings. But your nephew is highly questionable. And yes, if the court rules against you, then be prepared for your siblings to be split up and placed in foster care, given the inadequacies of the current arrangement.
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 7, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Please seek legal aid. They maybe able to assist you and guide you in the right direction and plan of action- on a sliding scale. If there is documented proof and instability in the home, etc. You have every right to attain your siblings in a custody action. But it can backfire on you if the home is evaluated and considered a healthy environment for the children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search