Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djollieuk Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 09:14 AM
    Mario kart wii
    I have a really big problem, its only happened in the last couple of days, I have been linking up to my sisters wii to play head to head in battles and grand prix's, we had no problems till about 2 days ago, when we started a race and for sum reason my sister and her partner didn't move off the line, we were playing normally, I was in 1st place and it was as though they were delibratly being slow, but I couldn't catch them up to lap them, either way when I crossed the line, it said I was first. But then the scores cam up and it turns out I was 3rd, how is that possible, what's happening? Its happened ever since, I can't see them on the track, they are winning even though it says I'm first, and when they see me and fire a shell at me, it goes through me, I can't find any answers anywhere? Any ideas folks, I've reset the wii and still the same,
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 09:47 AM

From what I've read, Nintendo's network gaming is a little weird. Chances are you're experiencing latency issues.

Are you going over an Internet connection? If so, what are the speeds of your connection and her's?

If not, are you connected over a router? If so, what kind of router (g, mimo, N)?

Jan 14, 2010, 09:50 AM
    I'm connected via a broadband connection on a wireless 2 o2 box, which has unlimited bandwidth allowance running at 54mb per second, there don't seem to be a problem when playing one of them, but it becomes a three player it lags again, but this never happened before and the internet seems to buffer pretty good when using bbc I player
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 09:51 AM

I'm guess its either a glitch or due to lag

As fadedmaster mentioned above, I also think its due to the speeds of your connections

If yours is a good connection how about your sisters? Or her friends?

Jan 14, 2010, 09:59 AM

OK well ill have to consider trying it when there's less traffic on the internet and see if that's what caused it, thanks for your input ill get bk to let you know the outcome
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by djollieuk View Post
    im connected via a broadband connection on a wireless 2 o2 box, which has unlimited bandwith allowance running at 54mb per second, there dont seem to be a problem when playing one of them, but it becomes a three player it lags again, but this never happened before and the internet seems to buffer pretty good when using bbc i player
    Is that just your connection? What about her connection? Or the third party (assuming they're on a 3rd Wii)? If this only happens with the third person, and they are on a separate connection, then it sounds like we've found the bottleneck.

Jan 14, 2010, 11:06 AM
    No what is they use sky internet through a wireless router, but when I'm playing them they are in two player mode I'm in one or two, depends on who's playing, its only two wiis involved, one has o2 wireless and the other, sky wireless
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 11:09 AM
    no what is they use sky internet through a wireless router, but when im playing them they are in two player mode im in one or two, depends on whos playing, its only two wiis involved, one has o2 wireless and the other, sky wireless
    What are the upload/download speeds of both and how far away are the two of you?

Jan 14, 2010, 11:11 AM

Umm well we are about 26 miles away from each other, and I'm using speeds of between 48 and 54 mbps, and they are running at 54mbps as well, so not much difference in the two, its just it used to work perfect before, and now it don't, the battles are fine, its only the grand prix races where there's just us four playing together.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
    umm well we are about 26 miles away from each other, and im using speeds of between 48 and 54 mbps, and they are running at 54mbps aswell, so not much difference in the two, its just it used to work perfect before, and now it dont, the battles are fine, its only the grand prix races where theres just us four playing together.
    Okay, that's your download. Most ISPs limit your upload. I doubt latency is an issue as you two are not far away. The reason battles could be fine is that there is less information communicated between the two of you.

What could be happening, is that you are exceeding someone's upload capability and running into connection issues. So for example, someone's upload could be capped at 512Kbps and cannot handle so much information.

Another thing to consider is if this is a direct connection to the modem, or if it is shared over a router. If it is shared over a router (at either Wii locations) then some of the bandwidth could be consumed by another user. Double-check to make sure no one in either household has recently started downloading/uploading. A lot of times a user will have something going on in the background.

Jan 14, 2010, 11:19 AM

Usually nobody else is using the router, its definitely a direct connection to the router, and I think I know what you mean by using too much information, but I'm sure it must be my side because, my sister always wins the grand prix and says we are playing fine to her but her shells can't hit us, they go through us like we are the ghosts and they are racing ghosts, but we see totally different on our screen, we see them two losing and way behind us and we are in 1st and second place, its so strange it happens every single race, when we play 2 player grabd prix with no link up, it works fine, not a problem
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 11:26 AM

When I say too much information, I mean that the game has too much going on to be communicated through the connection.

Also, double check on the bill from the ISP what the actual download is, because when you connect to a standard wireless G connection with a good signal, it will tell you that you have a 54Mbps connection... but that is actually the speed that you are communicating at with the router, not the speed from the router to the internet.

Go to speedtest.net and run a test. Post your results. This will tell you your actual measured speed.

Jan 14, 2010, 11:31 AM

OK I don't know if that looked very good but apparently my download speed is 6.28mbps and my upload speed was a worryingly 0.32mbps, is that normal?
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 11:45 AM

Well... 0.32Mbps is pretty slow for online gaming. It appears that your connection cannot handle most online gaming. And depending on what your sister's connection is, yours is likely the cause of the issues.

To give you an idea, mine is 120Mbps down and 2Mbps up. I have amazing download, but because my ISP caps my upload, I still have issues with online gaming, but not too often.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 11:49 AM
    Your upload is slow. But remember when there is network congestion for one of the gamers it affects the game for all the participants. It doesn't particularly mean that you are at fault.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Your upload is slow. But remember when there is network congestion for one of the gamers it affects the game for all the participants. It doesn't particularly mean that you are at fault.
    Good point. I hope I didn't make it sound like it was the OP's fault. :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FadedMaster View Post
    Good point. I hope I didn't make it sound like it was the OP's fault. :)
    I'm sure you've seen many online gaming sites or the multiplayer feature within a particular game where they have a lobby that shows each player's ping - that's how we would know who to kick. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking old paint off go kart frame [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old frame and it has 2 layers of paint and a primer I need to take off. What is the best way. I've tried sanding with 40 grit sand paper but it just wares out too fast. Will paint strippers work?

Take out tranmission on rider mower/Go kart [ 2 Answers ]

I am making my rider mower into a go kart, Not switching the engine to a frame, but using the mower frame itself. I plan on making my throttle the gas petal. But I want to elminate the tranmission. On go karts they are always in drive, press gas, you go, and press brake you stop. Can I take out...

Mario kart wii [ 3 Answers ]

Hey there I was just woundering I've got at least 1 star on all cups 50cc 100cc 150cc an mirror now online I have a gold stearing wheel and a star above my name but I see some people with two and three above there wheel... some people have one big star sum people have two big stars and some people...

How to make my go-kart better [ 6 Answers ]

Hi and I've been making a go-kart recently(without engine just made of an old pram) and I've done everything I can think of but I want to do something else to it like make it lighter because I'm going to go down some really steep hills(I mean really steep)so I need to get allot of speed.im going to...

View more questions Search