Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sasikanth111 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 06:16 PM
    Car doesn't shift into drive gear
    Have a 97 ford taurus.. I was driving when I heard a click noise and then I wasn't able to accelerate. I put it in parking and then tried to get into drive but it won't go into drive. It moves into reverse and neutral, but doesn't move in reverse. What might be the problem? Transmission failure?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 06:22 PM

Likely, it's transmission failure. Automatic transaxles are the weak link on all FWD vehicles. It's very important to change ATF and filter every 30,000 miles. Sounds like your clutch packs are shot. If you want, drop the pan and examine the contents.

Jan 13, 2010, 06:28 PM

I am not a good do-it-yourself person. How much do you think it might cost me to replace the transmission? Aprrox?

Jan 13, 2010, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Likely, it's transmission failure. Automatic transaxles are the weak link on all FWD vehicles. It's very important to change ATF and filter every 30,000 miles. Sounds like your clutch packs are shot. If you want, drop the pan and examine the contents.
    How much do you think it will cost to replace the transmission? Approx?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 06:38 PM

$2,500 for a rebuilt with a 12-month warranty. In the future, only use Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. This allows transmissions to perform better and last much longer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car will not go into gear drive reverse neutral from the park position [ 6 Answers ]

I have a mercury grand marquis and today I put it into park when I was ready to go it would not go into gear from park position any advise

Gear shift cables? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 chevy caviler the gear shift cables broke I have found some but they are 150.00 any where cheaper than this?

Gear shift moves but doesn't shift into gear [ 1 Answers ]

1998 toyota, the gear shifter moves but car will not sift into any gear. The gear shifter is real sloppy. Well like nothing is there.

Gear shift handle moves, but stays in drive only [ 1 Answers ]

Gear shift handle moves, but stays in drive only.

View more questions Search