Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DDave Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2003, 08:45 AM
    Auto vents
    Tom, thanks for the info on the shower drain. Its greatly aprreciated. I am also installing a kohler wirlpool tub in my new bathroom. Question is this. The tub is going to be in middle of the room. What are your recommendations for venting the drain line? The drain line will travel appr. 11 feet horizontal before the possibility of a vertical ventline off the drain line. Will the use of a auto vent under the tub structure be OK to use. I bought what I believe to be a very good one. Thanks again Tom. Happy Holidays. Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2003, 10:17 AM
    Auto vents
    Hey Dave, You're referring to a Studor Mechanical Spring loaded Vent. That would work, however you may not need a vent at all on your tub. It may already be "wet vented". A wet vent vents through a drain that's already connected. Section 1412.1 of my Southern Standard Code Book under the heading of "Single Bathroom Groups" says, A single bathroom group of fixtures may be installed with the drain from a back vented lavatory, or combination fixture serving as a wet vent for a bathtub, shower stall and for the water closet, provided that: (a) Not more then 4 fixture units drain into a 2" wet vent. (Note) A bathtub's considered 3 fixture units. (b) The horzontal branch connects to the vertical stackas the same level as the water closet drain or below the water closet drain when installed on the top floor. It may also connect to the water closet bend. (sic) Provided the closet bend has a side inlet. Hope I haven't confused you further. Regards, Tom
    DDave Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2003, 08:35 AM
    Re: Auto vents
    Tom. Thanks again for your info , Im sure it will be beneficial to my installation. Im also sure I will have more questions as I go along with my new bathroom project. It will be a very slow moving prodject with no more time than I get to work on it. Thanks again Tom.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 15, 2003, 08:48 AM
    Re: Auto vents
    No problem Dave, I'm sure there will be more questions. I'm available anytime. Happy Holidays! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom & Dryer Vents [ 1 Answers ]

I built a room next to a bathroom exterior wall where the bathroom and dryer vents terminated (on the exterior side). With the new adjacent room, the vents would have to be extended by 10 feet. My question is, can I connect the bathroom and dryer vents together and then extend one 4" vent pipe to...

How to Clean Vents? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. We moved into a 45 year old home last summer. It has gas heat and central A/C. I doubt the vents have ever been cleaned. Is there a method to cleaning vents that can be done by the homeowner or does it need to be cleaned by a professional?

Studer vents [ 2 Answers ]

Plumber installed Studer vents in four locations to combat toilet bubbling/gurgling. Now, washing machine suds flow out of vent stack. Is this OK?

Vents at ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

Ok don't want to sound stupid here but we have cold air returns at the bottom of the walls and vents at the top that you can open or close, when should you have these open or closed?

View more questions Search