Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 01:41 PM
    What is the appropriate age for a kid to have a cell phone?
    I was thinking the other day and have thought about this question for quite awhile. I have seen kids as young as 6 (or they looked 6) with cell phones. I find this a little crazy. What does a 6 or 7 year old need a phone for? I was in subway awhile back and seen a kid around 9 years old with a phone way nicer than mine and I was thinking if a kid was really responsible at that age to have a phone, a nice one at that. One thing that has happened in my generation is the popularity of cell phones. When I was younger I used to go out with my friends or go to a friends house. Somewhere that had a phone just like today, but I always had to call my mom when I got there to let them know. That is how they knew where we were. Now they use cell phones for kids to find out where they are even though they could be anywhere. I didn't get a phone until I was 16 when I could afford my own and learned how to appreciate it and not overuse it. I have nothing against cell phones, it is just how attached people are to them today. So what age do you find them appropriate? Oh and please nobody take offense if your kids is one of those with a cell phone at age 6.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2010, 01:51 PM

Cell phones have evolved over the years. They have gotten more affordable.

Parenting has also evolved. Many
    Families have both parents working or soccer moms have very busy schedules. So a child having a cell is much more than a convenience.

With the costs much more reasonable, its not out of line. While I think 6 is a bit young, I think its reasonable for a 10 yr old or older. I am also in favor of restricted phones at that age. Where they can't text and can only call certain numbers.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 01:59 PM

There are cell services that allow parents to track a person using the GPS system built into some phones, so you can't hide under these conditions.

I'd be in favor of restricted call lists at an early age.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Cell phones have evolved over the years. They have gotten more affordable.

Parenting has also evolved. Many
    families have both parents working or soccer moms have very busy schedules. So a child having a cell is much more than a convenience.

With the costs much more reasonable, its not out of line. While I think 6 is a bit young, I think its reasonable for a 10 yr old or older. I am also in favor of restricted phones at that age. Where they can't text and can only call certain numbers.
    I have to agree with you on them being restricted to only calls and certain numbers. Didn't they make a phone called the firefly or something like that for kids? That would be OK. I just wonder if cell phones hadn't evolved where they would be, it would be just like the old days which would be rough on parents since some are always on the go. Thanks for your reply.
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 02:21 PM

An example of tracking not offered by the cell phone provider.

AccuTracking - Online Real-Time GPS Phone Tracking Service
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2010, 02:35 PM

My cousin who is 10 just got a cell phone for Christmas. I really can't say too much because I had a beeper since I was 13 then upgraded to a cell phone after high school. Man when I got that beeper all of my friends parents were convinced I was a drug dealer. So they called my mom and she explained to them that she bought it for me because her and my dad both worked and I had so many extra curricular activities they never knew which one I was at.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 03:24 PM
    Personally, and just my opinion here, I don't think a six year old, or any child, should have a cell phone, until they can pay for it.

It is a privilege, not a necessity. We haven't lost track of our children to the extent that we need cell phones and GPS have we?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jan 13, 2010, 03:37 PM

This is an interesting topic. Parenting has changed so much and people really do rely on such creature comforts. Right or Wrong? Can't say. My son got a cell phone rather early but I am somewhat of a narotic parent and wanted to be able to get in touch at al times. (Park, hanging out etc.)
    Adam... it's interesting too how young kids look to us the older we get.. Was this six year old in the subway by him/herself? <--which may be why the parents provided their phone for that one time use?
    Not sure what the answer is but I do wish our world would slow down a little bit for the sake of our children. It's insane on so many levels. I wish our kids could grow up like we did, it seemed less complicated.
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2010, 08:47 PM

The family plans are usually very cheap after you have two cell phones. There are always the buy one get one free stuff too.
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Jan 13, 2010, 09:04 PM

I am more concerned about all these studies being revealed all over the world about cell phones increasing the risk of numerous problems (even psychiatric) in children.

I have a cell as an adult--not even a land line anymore and try to put it on speakerphone when possible. Although, many times it can be unrealistic, it is possible to cut back phone usage. It's really unfortunate because cells are so convenient.

In children, even more so... the studies are all over the net, not just in one site, but here is an example of one.
    Cell phones children

Since this is the case, the age a child should have a cell phone needs to be weighed heavily on how necessary it really is for the child's safety. If it is needed, it should be turned off except if needed for emergency, or have the parent invest in EMF protection contraptions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 09:46 PM

Well there was not even touch pad phones when I was that young, we still have the rotory dial. I got my first "mobile phone" when I was in my late twenties I think, it was the size of a small suit case and weighed maybe 25 lbs ( it was heavy) and of course a real car phone.

But they do have new applications coming out this year that allows the parent to screen the kids calls on their phone first, even allows parent to answer from the parents phone, or see any text or photos first
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 05:40 AM

I got my first cell phone when I was 16.
    It was because I used to get my dad to pick me up after school and from town so it was much easier than running around town trying to find a pay phone.
    They also called me on it if I was staying out late just to make sure I was OK.
    I had a phone that worked on credit, so they would send a certain amount of credit to my phone (usually a dollar or two) before I went out. It was just enough for me to make the call home to be picked up.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 06:13 AM

I remember when my dad got a cell phone many years ago. It was huge, in one of those huge bag things and it still had a cord and you could plug it into your car. Maybe it was a car phone. I thought it was dumb. It is crazy how far they have come over the years. I mean come on, I got a smartphone now.Well getting one in the next day or two. How have things come so far? As Jake said earlier, cell phones are a privelage and should be treated as such.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 06:35 AM

I agree...
    When I was 10 I had no need for a cellphone because I wasn't allowed to go anywhere without an adult.
    If I stayed at a friends house my parents had the house number if they needed to contact me.

It's a good idea for children to be able to contact their parents but then that opens up a whole new subject of what age should children be allowed to go out without supervision.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I agree...
    When I was 10 I had no need for a cellphone because I wasn't allowed to go anywhere without an adult.
    If I stayed at a friends house my parents had the house number if they needed to contact me.

It's a good idea for children to be able to contact their parents but then that opens up a whole new subject of what age should children be allowed to go out without supervision.
    You are definitely right. When I went out to a friends house my mom made me call her when I got there from their house phone and she had their house phone number so she could reach me if she needed to.

Your last comment could go into another discussion and is a valid point.
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 18, 2010, 09:17 PM

Continuing on the cell phone subject at a later date: here is an article on how the cell phone can bring you cash... or quite a distraction for all the texting kids.

I had a parent tell me their 16yr. Old daughter racked up her phone bill to $500 from texting alone. So, yes, responsibility is a big part of having a phone.

Iowa teen has country's fastest thumbs - LG Mobile Worldcup - Yahoo! Games

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I transfer my cell phone contact list from phone to computer? [ 6 Answers ]

Can I transfer my cell phone contact list from my cell phone onto my computer? I have a LG AX8600 cell phone. What type cord will I need to use for my computer and cell phone?

The best age that a kid go to school [ 20 Answers ]

We are having debates about the best aga that a kid starts elementary school. Oficially kids go to school between age 6-7. My doughter is exactly 6 years old and I am thinking to send here to school next year because if I send her this year the majority of her classmates will be 7 years old and...

Age for cell phone users [ 8 Answers ]

At what age is it appropriate for a child to receive a cell phone? I am flabbergasted that my ex-husband told me yesterday when I picked her up that she had earned the money and privilege of having a cell phone - SHE JUST TURNED 7 in Aug!! What would you suggest, how do I deal with this, I...

Blocked Phone number calling wireless cell phone [ 4 Answers ]

Hello my name is Jessica. Is there anyway anyone can help me figure out a blocked number that is calling my cell phone? If there is anyway to find out who the blokced number is that is really calling me.

Which is the best cell phone and cell phone plan in Verizon? [ 5 Answers ]

Which is the best cell phone and cell phone plan in Verizon?My contract is about to end.I want to switch to Verizon.So any suggestions?

View more questions Search