Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Georgiagirlnot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 08:03 AM
    We lived and worked out of state for the entire year and paid taxes to another state.
    We are legal residents of Georgia, but have lived and worked in Virginia for two years. We paid taxes for the entire year to Virginia, but Georgia still insists we pay the same taxes to them. Somewhere I read in the Georgia Tax code that income earned out of state while living out of state is not taxable to Georgia, but I can't find that again. The Georgia tax office gave us a form to fill out, but then ignored it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 11:41 AM

For tax purposes, your residency is determined by where you hang your hat at night. If you have lived in VA the past two years, then for tax purposes you are VA residents, not GA. You did the right thing paying tax to VA. But now GA thinks you are GA residents. Could it be that you have a GA address on your W2's, or perhaps used a GA address for your federal filing? If so, then that was the error. What you need to do now is file GA tax returns showing all your income, and then take the credit for taxes paid to other states. You'll have to include a copy of your VA tax return. This should make your GA tax bill cose to $0. Going forward - use your VA address with your employer and with your tax filings - that way you won't have to file GA tax returns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lived in NJ Worked in NY for 3 months later moved to CA. Which state taxes need to fi [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I lived in NJ Worked in NY for 3 months(Jan, Feb, March) later moved to CA. Here are my questions related to tax filing : 1) Do I need to file NJ or NY tax returns or Both? ( Here I know that I need to file CA state tax returns as I am current residant of CA) 2) My Wife don't have...

I did not file taxes in the state I lived in and worked in another now I owe [ 3 Answers ]

I lived in NC for 2 years and worked in VA. I filed with VA and the IRS,now NC is coming after me for not filing with penalties and fees. I have no job, no income and they want 11,000 dollars.

Is it illegal for a company to deduct state taxes for time not worked in a state? [ 2 Answers ]

I sometimes work in a state that has a state income tax but I live and work mostly in a state that does not have a state income tax. My employer has been deducting state taxes (for the state that has an income tax) on all my earnings even though more than half the time I do not work in that state....

Received W2 for a state I've never worked or lived in [ 1 Answers ]

At the beginning of 2007, I transferred from a store in South Carolina to a store in North Carolina. Shortly thereafter, I left this company. I received 3 W2's for this company. One from SC, one from NC, and then a third from NEW MEXICO?! I called HR and was told that their records say I worked at...

Which state do I pay taxes to? (lived in each exactly half a year) [ 1 Answers ]

I moved from Texas to California last year and arrived in CA on July 1st. I didn't bother to get my CA driver's license for several months, but did establish residency on that date. Since Texas has no income tax, of course, I'd like to say that it was my state of residency last year, since it...

View more questions Search