Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 06:11 PM
    Car wouldn't Start
    I have a BMW 525I, 1995 with 135000 miles, last week it didn’t start, Starter was good (Cranking good) called AAA and towed to my friends work shop he worked on it for almost 4 days according to him checked ignition system, fuels system, and wiring every thing works good, I am out of town and today he called me that the problem is with the computer and he is looking to find a used one, my question is would this be a good idea to go with a used one or buy it from a dealer, I don’t know how long will be the warranty on the used one and how much will it cost me, need your opinion should I go with used one if he finds one or ask him to get one from the dealer and could any one tell me how much will be a new one, Thanks.

Best Regards,
    John
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 06:14 PM

New ECMs for a Honda Civic are around $1,100. I'd hate to hear what they cost for a BMW.

When my 1993 Civic's ECM failed three years ago, I installed a Cardone remanufactured ECM, with a lifetime warranty, for $250. I bought the ECM from O'Reilly Auto Parts. Shop for price and warranty, particularly on ECMs.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 06:19 PM

I am expecting $1200-$1500, but I don't know how much will be the used one, do you recommend to get used one if the price is reasonable?

Thanks.
    John
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 06:23 PM

Yup. Make sure your friend knows what he's doing and has exhausted all other possibilities first. Has he tested all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter? Has he checked for codes? What tests did he perform on your current ECM to conclude it's bad? Has he cleaned the main ECM ground? There are many people who take advantage of others when it comes to electronics diagnosis--be careful.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 06:29 PM

Thanks
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 06:42 PM

If the Check Engine Light comes on and goes off normally, all fuses are good, there are no codes, you have spark, the fuel pump runs, but the engine does not start, the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) may be bad and should be replaced. CKPs, because of their proximity to the crankshaft and exposure to the elements (water, salt, grease, dirt, and stones), commonly fail. After ruling out the CKP, I would focus on the ECM.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 07:08 PM

I am out of town and the mechanic told me that he replaced some sensors it didn't help, he thinks it is the computer, how would you check if the computor is bad, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 07:24 PM

If the Check Engine Light comes on and goes off after two seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON, the ECM is likely fine. During start-up, the ECM checks everything out and the CEL will stay on if anything is really wrong.

The ECM (computer) is nothing more than a “power transistor,” whose job is to supply the proper voltage to a host of sensors, under constantly varying conditions. Therefore, have your friend check for 5 reference volts, at key sensor connectors, when the ignition switch is turned to ON. I'm not familiar with your car, but the Throttle Position Sensor or MAF Sensor may work for this test. If instead of 5 reference volts, he records .3 volts, for instance, the ECM is likely bad.

Here's the K-Test that I use on many Hondas:

The K-Test: Remove the MAP Sensor connector and turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II). Using a multimeter, check for 5 volts going between the MAP Sensor connector's reference wire (+) and ground. As you look at the connector, this is the socket on the right. Really press the black test lead into a cleaned main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. If the voltage is low, it's probably indicating ECM failure. Most failed ECMs will record a fraction of a volt. To me, the K-Test is simple, elegant, and accurate.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 07:29 PM

I would certainly ask him if he replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP). CKPs cause a lot of problems and are prime suspects in crank but won't start situations.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 08:08 PM

Hello TXGreasMonkey,

Thanks for your advices I will forward these to my friend and will let you know, Thanks.

Best Regards,
    John
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 01:31 PM

Hello TxGreaseMonkey,

FYI I am still out of town and my car is still not fixed , the CKP is replaced two times, and a rebuild computer has been installed but still it would not start, do you have any other suggestion before I ask my friend to take it to a dealer, one other thing have heard any thing about the key chip, some one told me if the memory on the key chip is lost the car wouldn't Start, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2010, 01:51 PM

It could certainly by an immobilizer problem. I've worked with several people in Great Britain on Hondas, where they had to have their original ECM remanufactured because of the immobilizer system. My experience has been that when you have a major problem with the vehicle, it's often better to go to the dealer for servicing. I think you are at that point, particularly with a BMW.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 02:21 PM

All right I will try, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 09:11 AM

Hello TxGreaseMonkey,

After almost a month and cost me a lot that my car was in the work shop and per yours suggestion took it to the BMW dealer it finally got fixed yesterday, I want to share the following with you that what they did and what got the car fixed thanks for you help and it is greatly appreciated.

13655 DME faulty 5.00 checked fuel pressure, no fuel pressure.
    Checked fuel pump for power fuel pump was not getting any voltage, applied voltage to the pump found pump working, replaced fuel pump relay pump still not getting voltage.

Checked faults found DME fault for no power supply, checked power to the DME and getting 12 volts, checked all 4 power supply to DME and all were good.

Checked for spark at coils and no spark.

Performed Oscilloscope measurement from the crank sensor which gives the RPM signal, the crank was sensor was giving out signal, for trouble shooting replaced the sensor still engine didn't start.

Jumped the starter immobilizer relay engine still didn't start.

Suspect bad DME or bad EPROM, Replaced the EPROM engine still didn't start with the new EPROM.

Removed the DME and installed into a donor car with the same engine the donor car did not start with the suspected faulty DME and started with its original DME.

Replaced DME and programmed it to the vehicle and the engine started, end of my story, Thanks.

Best Regards,
    John
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the update. The story ended pretty much as I expected.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 02:12 PM

Yep
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 02:45 PM

Hello TxGreaseMonkey,

After I drove my car for a day and parked inside the Garage found a puddle of oil under the car, cleaned the bottom and drove it and parked still a puddle of oil, had no time to investigate or take it to a work shop due I was leaving on a trip will be home on Friday what would you suggest to be checked, I hope it will not be costly the previous problem cost me close $3000.00.

It looks like engine oil, I checked the drip stick can't tell if have lost much, checked the brake fluid reservoir it is OK, I hope it wouldn't be the seal between the engine and the transmitter, please advise, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 03:01 PM

Thoughts:

Check the drain plug on the oil pan. Also, try tightening the oil filter a little more. If the problem persists, the mechanic may not have ensured that the old oil filter gasket came off with the filter. It may have stuck to the engine block. Then, he may have installed the new filter and gasket on top of it, which will not seal properly.

Examine the color of the fluid. If it's pink, it's likely automatic transmission fluid.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 05:46 PM

First thing I checked the drain plug it was OK and no leak from there, there was no oil change done this time, and the oil filter is on top of the engine not at the bottom, any thing else, Thanks.

John
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 06:28 PM

Leaks can be on the top of the engine and drip down. This is what makes tracing leaks from the bottom up sometimes difficult. Check all fluid levels and go from there. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car will not start no power, then dash light come on but will not start [ 1 Answers ]

When attempt to start there is no power , radio has lost power and code has to be inputted. Light in dash pane come on and there is clicking when attempting to start but will not start. Battery is good.

My car won't start, eletricals all work, but car doesn't even try to turn over. [ 1 Answers ]

My car has never had any trouble starting. I came out of work yesterday where it was very cold and I put my key in my ignition and then pushed in the clutch fully and turned the key. All the electrical stuff like radio, dash, and lights all work, but the car wouldn't even try to turn over. I heard...

1991 civic won't start car won'T start [ 2 Answers ]

1991 Civic Honda CX won't start periodically. Has been checkec by three different mechanics unable to find the problem. It sometimes also jerks when I accelerate. Help?

Car won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Hello dear members, I havea 1992 honada accord DX 4-door, the problem is the car does start and it gets hot {after a few minutes} die out and I have to wait an hour or two to start it again. As of now, I change the ignition module, check {did not change} the cap. I need some before taking the car...

View more questions Search