Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tokugawa Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Jan 17, 2010, 07:53 AM

Hey! Good point! Don't immunise! There is no data to suggest that those who are immunised against anything have ever been exposed to anything!

Damn! If only we had people like you when polio was stalking! Then again, polio vaccine was just a way for FDR to keep track.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 06:26 AM
    Just like I had said about disasters. States are the ones with the rights. Its not the Federal Government. And that's how the constitution is suppose to work.
    So then it is your contention that the national government is impotent to act on a pandemic that crosses national borders as well as State boundries ? Amazing .
    As I understand history ,the founders met to revise the Articles of Confederation to deal with just such an impotent national government as you suggest we should have .Posse Comitatus was a law passed after the Reconstruction occupation of the South to restrict the use of Federal forces inside the country. Since then it has been used to tie the hands of the Federal Government . As we saw in the Katrina response ,the delay that caused was devastating .

Clearly Constitutional guidelines can ,should ,and have been drawn up to handle interstate emergency responses . The 'Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Stafford Act) passed in 1988 'funnels the Federal response through FEMA . It was further refined in 2000 with the 'Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000' .

Although the language of these acts dances around the 10th amendment issues you are concerned about ;there is no doubt that these acts are intended to make the Federal Government the lead agency in national emergencies. This and any other similar act will survive SCOTUS review.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    Hey!! Good point!! Don't immunise! There is no data to suggest that those who are immunised against anything have ever been exposed to anything!

Damn! If only we had people like you when polio was stalking! Then again, polio vaccine was just a way for FDR to keep track.
    Whoa, back up... WAY up! I'm a nurse. I am all for immunizations. I've had my H1N1 vaccine, and my seasonal flu vaccine. All of my children have had their vaccinations, including one that is not required, varicella zoster.

My point is that even with the vaccinations it is possible to get the virus, albeit a milder form. Also, not all people are in the risk categories. Risk categories include people under 25 years of age, those with chronic illnesses, those with chronic respiratory illness, and pregnant women.

Again, just because we got the vaccine doesn't mean we won't be exposed to, or catch, a mild strain of the virus.

So, until you know me and what I am for and/or against, please don't make such sweeping generalizations about me.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 05:12 PM

OKAY!

Cleaned up the (way) off topic stuff.

Can you go back to dissing each other for being afraid of a little ol' virus now, please?

(btw... no one who actually HAD H1N1 would knock it. It put me on my back for 15 straight days.)
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2010, 05:42 PM

Clete,
    Calm down man. Don't let it get under your skin. Sure these guys have got their flaws, some more than others ;), but deep down they isn't too bad :)

On the topic of H1N1, it wouldn't be the first time drug companies have manipulated situation to suit their bottom line.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 04:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell View Post
    Clete,
    Calm down man. Dont let it get under your skin. Sure these guys have got their flaws, some more than others ;), but deep down they aint too bad :)

On the topic of H1N1, it wouldnt be the first time drug companies have manipulated situation to suit their bottom line.
    Hey iI agree but who will pay for the over production? You know it's going to be us one way or another
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    OKAY!!

Cleaned up the (way) off topic stuff.

Can you go back to dissing each other for being afraid of a little ol' virus now, please?

(btw...no one who actually HAD H1N1 would knock it. It put me on my back for 15 straight days.)
    Just "cleaning up" instead of closing now?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Just "cleaning up" instead of closing now?
    It was a good discussion until it got off topic with spelling and grammar.

I thought you guys might like to continue it, is all.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2010, 06:50 AM

Update :The United States still has 71 million doses of H1N1 swine flu vaccine that have not been used
    U.S. has 71 million unused flu vaccine doses | Reuters
    H1N1 swine flu is still technically causing a pandemic and health officials say anyone who has not been vaccinated should still try, in case it causes a third wave of serious disease.

Health experts consider swine flu likely to join the mix of seasonal flu viruses and it will be included in the seasonal flu vaccine for 2010-2011, which will also contain two other flu strains.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2010, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    update :The United States still has 71 million doses of H1N1 swine flu vaccine that have not been used
    U.S. has 71 million unused flu vaccine doses | Reuters
    Update; I would say it might be good idea not to use them, might be passed their use by date. We have had a serious problem here with immunuisation of childern under five, so much so that immunisation of children under 5 is banned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1N1, Swine Flu [ 8 Answers ]

I was just diagnosed with H1N1, boy am I miserable. The worst is the body aches and the sore throat. I'm gargling with the family recipe, vinegar, salt and the warmest water you can stand. The aches I'm treating with ibuprofen alternating with acetaminophen, lots of fluids. Is there any thing...

Opinions on H1N1 vaccine [ 23 Answers ]

First let me say I am not looking for answers or any type of medical advice. I know how I feel and my choices. I have some friends with a huge concern over getting there children the H1N1 shot. They are alarmed with the mercury in it and it not being so called "tested" yet. Its coming to our...

About H1N1 [ 40 Answers ]

parablesblog: Hell's Pharmacy

H1N1 (Swine Flu) [ 18 Answers ]

So, have any of you, or anyone you know, experienced the Swine Flu yet? My children have. We had it two weeks ago and there were 200-300 kids out of our school that week. Anyone want to share experiences or have any questions?

Swine Flu H1N1 Shots [ 31 Answers ]

Well, coming shortly this fall when the swine flu is supposed to hit the world's population causing mayhem and death, I was wondering if any of you out there in AMHD land are going to get the flu shot? From all the mercury, squalene, blood from other animals, and who knows what else that is...

View more questions Search