Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tawnya1957 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 04:11 PM
    What can I do to cover my ugly concrete porch
    I live in SC, my back porch has an aluminum cover, very nice. My concrete pad is stained and cracked. What can I do to make it look good?
    Thanks
    Tawnya
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Jan 12, 2010, 07:28 PM

Put indoor outdoor carpet over it. You glue it down.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 07:58 PM

There are many options, as many as your wallet can handle. Indoor outdoor carpet is an option but I have never been fond of it and its near impossible to remove. Google the topic and you will get sites like Decorative Concrete Treatments Let Homeowners' Creativity Surface

Jan 13, 2010, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the replies, I don't think carpet is an option, but I will check out the web site.
    Thanks again.
    Tawnya
    Anybodyhome Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 10:30 AM

While I/O carpet is an option, it does have its drawbacks as well. Although it has a rubber backing, it may also trap any moisture between the rubber backing and the concrete, causing further problems with existing cracks and pits.

Other options include filling the cracks, pressure washing the concrete and cleaning it up to your liking and possibly either staining or using a concrete paint to add some color as well as an acrylic coating.

You could even go so far as to lay stringers and build what amounts to a deck over the concrete, depending on the step down height from the door to the concrete. If it's about 3-4 inches from the threshold to the concrete, you may have the necessary height to accomplish this.

Jan 14, 2010, 12:12 PM

We're currently looking into laying ceramic tile. Our last resort will be to refurbish the concrete like you mentioned.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 05:49 PM

Ceramic tile on cracked concrete will eventually give you cracked ceramic.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Feb 10, 2010, 07:10 PM

Acid stain the concrete and leave the cracks for character.
    Stained Concrete - Staining Concrete - How to Tips for Acid Stained Cement - The Concrete Network

Feb 11, 2010, 06:21 AM

That's not a bad idea! Thanks, I'll look into it. After trying out several colors of outdoor tile, we decided not to go with tile because it just looks so boring. For the expense, an acid stain may not be exciting but it would be more in line with the cost.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Feb 11, 2010, 10:51 AM

Did you see how good some of the floors look that are acid stained.
    I stained and painted my concrete garage.
    Painting and staining concrete garage floor - Garage Designs - Decorating Ideas - HGTV Rate My Space

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete overlay on concrete porch [ 3 Answers ]

I want to pour a concrete overlay on the top of a concrete porch that has been painted. The overlay will be a sand mix with cement added. What treatment does the porch need for the overlay to work? mac74hd

Concrete porch [ 1 Answers ]

I had old railings removed from my concrete porch. Needless to say there are holes in the concrete that I repaired. Now I either need to paint the concrete or tile the concrete porch. I am concerned about the concrete being slippery when wet. I do not want to add the sand like texture to the...

Pouring concrete over a concrete front porch [ 1 Answers ]

Our front porch has dropped about and inch and a half on the back edge--where the front door is. We would like to pour concrete to level the porch and bring it up an inch or so on the door edge, and maybe 1/2 or 1/4 inch on the front edge. Then we would like to place porcelain tile on the porch....

Plants to cover concrete drain cover [ 1 Answers ]

Hi When I bought my house, no one had even raked the yard for years and I knew I had a lot of work ahead of me. Fortunately, I had been perennial gardening for some time. This was a new challenge, however, because the lot is heavily wooded, and the trees are old growth that were not cut when...

View more questions Search