Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DDave Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2004, 08:44 AM
    Cast stand pipe
    Tom, how you doing? Hope you had a great newyears. Now for my question. My main stand pipe that I will have to tie into is 4 in. cast. The present drainage comes off the cast at what looks like a 4 in. sanitary T. My present drain that ties into the cast is run out of 3 in. copper. Is it possible to connect my new pvc drain line to the 3 in. copper? If so how is this done and what do I use? Or do I have to tie directly into the cast stand pipe, or do I just need to replace all the cast? This is all taking place on an upstairs bath. The 4 in. cast main line runs from my basement up through the roof of the house, aprox. 40 ft. in length. I really don't want to disturb this line if at all possible. Thanks again Tom. Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 5, 2004, 09:37 AM
    Cast stand pipe
    Good morning Dave, Absolutely yes! To tie the two together takes a threaded connection. First solder a 3" male threaded adaptor on to the copper line. You may then teflon tape the threads and connect a 3" PVC female adptor to the copper line. You have converted from copper to PVC and after you prime the PVC you can make your glue joint. My holiday was great. Thanks for asking. Tom

Jan 5, 2004, 10:58 AM
    Re: Cast stand pipe
    Tom, thanks for the info. Your coments for the connection of pvc to copper mentions the use of the primer. Do you have to use the primer with the multy purpose glue? Direction on can say only to use a cleaner and then glue the joints, which is what I have been doing so far. Was that a big WOOPS or am I OK? Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 5, 2004, 12:19 PM
    Cast stand pipe
    PVC primer and cleaner are the same things. The purpose of primer/cleaner is to take the glaze off the PVC and give the glue a chance to take over. If you find yourself out of cleaner you may use plumbers sand cloth or steel wool to remover the glaze from the PVC joint. You're doing fine. Regards, Tom

Jan 5, 2004, 12:59 PM
    Cast stand pipe
    Thanks Tom! I starting to feel like I owe you a steak dinner! Dave

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lead Pipe/cast iron [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I just removed drywall to fix a drain from a bathroom sink. I found 1.5" soft lead pipe from the p-trap to a 3" hub on the cast iron stack. Can I use some kind of coupler from the lead pipe to new plastic or do I need to replace the entire length of pipe? If I need to replace, what's a good...

How to install a stand pipe using existing plumbing [ 6 Answers ]

I'd like to convert the plumbing from a small "grease sink" to a stand pipe for my washer. Is this possible? Is the pipe's diameter too small to accommodate the pressure from the discharge of water from the washer? What's the recommended diameter of the pipes for a stand pipe?

Cutting cast iron pipe [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a project I am working on in the basement and I need to tie 3" plastic into 3" cast iron. I will be renting a ratchet type cast cutter. The cast comes out of the basement floor and goes straight up to serve the first floor bathroom. What I would like to do is cut a section out of the...

Washer stand pipe occasionally overflows [ 1 Answers ]

There doesn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason to this happening except that it seems to occur when we either run a very large load or if we happen to run a small load of laundry but still had the water level set for high or extra-high. However, it doesn't overflow every time this situation...

Cast iron waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint...

View more questions Search