Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    womenremodel2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 09:45 AM
    What are furring strips and how would I install. .
    What are furring strips and how would I install?
    I am drywalling the upper brick wall portion of my working fireplace) so it can be painted and flat screen TV can be hung. Oh yeah it's going to look nice as soon as you help me out so I actually know what I'm doing is right... thanks in advance.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jan 13, 2010, 06:14 PM

Furring strips are pieces of 1x2's attached to the wall. You will need to drill with a masonry bit and attach the furring strips with concrete screws and anchors I would also use liquid nails on the backside of the furring strips. Just be sure to run all your wires before adding the drywall.

I attached my 50" plasma to the rockwork on my fireplace without adding anything and it looks great!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 08:07 PM

Do not expect your furring strips to carry the weight of the fat screen, get anchors into the masonary wall. Also, the specs for the TV, some do not like the heat of a fireplace one bit. We see this app all of the time but may fail because the flat screen gets tooo hot almost by itself let along a fireplace.

Jan 14, 2010, 06:36 AM

Bob is correct on the anchors for the mount going directly into the masonary wall.
    I do not use my fireplace in San Antonio... I burn candles in it for ambiance. My mantle is also very deep(15") and 70" wide.
    They have fireplace hoods:
    Fireplace Hoods
    Check the temperature above the fireplace after having a good fire going for about a few hours. Tape a thermometer where you want to mount the TV.
    The temperature shouldn't be above 90 degrees. If it is consider placing the TV in another location or get the hood and a fan to blow the heat into the room. You can also have your ceiling fan going in the winter position.
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Jan 14, 2010, 02:13 PM

Is liquid nails on a working fireplace a good idea?
    Patty is right in asking how hot is the wall when the fire is going for a few hours.. do you burn a lot?are you in a cold climate?

Jan 14, 2010, 02:24 PM
    When I found a glass fire surround on clearance it didn't fir my fireplace opening. I took 2" tubular steel and cut it to fit inside the rock opening. I attached it with construction adhesive liquid nails.....let it cure and attached glass door surround. I even primed and painted the steel. It's still good after 10 years and the paint is still there after many roaring fires. Just took the surround off to repaint it from the shiny brass finish it had and steel is still attached firmly. No more fires though since installing a 50" plasma above the fireplace.
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Jan 14, 2010, 02:39 PM

I'm not sure what code is down there but up here in the northeast we can't have anything combustable touching brick... glad it worked out for you

Jan 14, 2010, 02:46 PM
    I mounted the surround on the ouside of where the original black fireplace screens were. It's 4" away from the front of the fireplace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furring strips vs walls [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my basement and have cement block walls. The walls are in OK shape, the floor is uneven in places. The room is about 10 degrees warmer in winter and cooler in summer than the rest of the house. I am trying to decide if I should use furring strips to attach my drywall to or build...

Whitening strips. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok,by using listerine whitening strips and using listerine whitening mouth rinse... will it make my teeth even more whiter?:confused:

Ovulation strips [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there.Been trying for a long time now.I decided to buy ovulation predictor test,it says when you test positive for the first time,then you are likely to ovulate by the way 24 -36hrs after.I started to test ,then it was negative,then the next day positive.So I knew ovulation was near.But I...

How to run lines on furring strip block wall. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. What materials do you use to run new lines, (new construction) on a block wall that will be furred out? For example, how do you secure the lines, what size boxes, etc. Will be running a few outlets and swiches. Will I have overfill violations by going box to box? They will have to...

Furring walls with epoxy [ 1 Answers ]

I have read several times that fastening furring strips (treated 2x4s) to concrete foundation walls with tapcons or shot driven nails may result in cracks and later leaks. Does anyone have a tried and true method of attaching furring to the foundation wall with some sort of epoxy instead?

View more questions Search