Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pcmaven Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Drilling into Ceramic Tile
    How does one drill into ceramic tile without cracking the tile?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 17, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Use a masonry bit.
    If you are drilling a hole bigger than 1/8", use a 1/8" masonry bit for a pilot hole then use the masonry bit for the size hole you need.
    mattp Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmaven
    Using a masonary bite. Don't start to big...
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2006, 09:58 PM
    To start the masonry bit on the glaze of the tile use a pointed object like a small phillips screwdriver and put the point on the center of where you are going to drill, Then tap the handle end of the screwdriver lightly, just enough to chip the glaze of the tile. Then you masonry bit will drill without slipping all over the tile before it make a hole.
    hwonkihele Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Check your local hardware store. There are drill bits especially for ceramics, these are different than masonary bits.
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Jan 26, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Just saw today on the DIY channel the also kept splashing water on the tile to cool and lubricate it looked like a good idea, my wet saw blade is submerged in water. Just a thought
    Jamie88 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Mar 3, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Get a diamond tipped masonry bit at your local home improvement store.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 3, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie88
    Get a diamond tipped masonry bit at your local home improvement store.
    You may also get diamond 'cookie cutter' hole saws that have a pilot drill setup for making larger holes for pipes. (I.e. A shower head gooseneck or toilet supply needs at least a 3/4" hole for pipe clearance and slight off center alignment. A beauty ring (escutcheon) can hide the hole. Nm
    PJS Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2007, 07:42 PM
    First use masking tape to cover the area you are making the hole then #2Answer : Use a masonry bit.
    If you are drilling a hole bigger than 1/8", use a 1/8" masonry bit for a pilot hole then use the masonry bit for the size hole you need. And yes you need some kind of lube to keep it cool and you should not have a problem
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 5, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PJS
    First use masking tape to cover the area you are making the hole then #2Answer : Use a masonry bit.
    If you are drilling a hole bigger than 1/8", use a 1/8" masonry bit for a pilot hole then use the masonry bit for the size hole you need. And yes you need some kind of lube to keep it cool and you should not have a problem
    Hi PJS,

Good suggestion about the masking tape on ceramic tile. If this is for shower or wall plumbing holes an arbored bit with a diamond hole saw combination is usually used in one drilling. If the tiles are not a fired hard ceramic, then care needs to be taken from too much drilling pressure that will crack a thin clay tile. Nm
    rikesh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 08:13 AM
    How to drill a hole in a ceramic tile without breaking the tile
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2007, 01:55 PM
    I agree with hwonkihele, That was what I was going to susgest the special bit made for drilling ceramic tile Good Call Hwonkihele;;;;;;

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tile (ceramic) a bathroom ceiling? [ 9 Answers ]

My basement bathroom ceiling is very low (7ft), especially over the shower/tub area. As a result, I am installing ceramic tile on the ceiling because of the moisture thing. I'm already using the same 12x12 ceramic tile on the floor and walls. This tile is recommended for floor or walls. I...

Removing Ceramic Tile from concrete slab [ 2 Answers ]

I am in th process of removing ceramic tile from my back porch. We are having a pool installed and need the slab scraped clean so they can float it install acrylic deck. I was told by the contractor that the surface needed to be as smooth as possible. Removing the tile was not difficult, I...

Ceramic tile finish edge next to sliding door metal frame [ 1 Answers ]

How do you finish the edge of ceramic tile next to edge of metal frame sliding door? Do you butt the edge of tile to edge strip or leave 1/4 inch gap for grout? William rossbach

Ceramic Tile Baseboard [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - I am putting in a ceramic tile floor in a bathroom and plan on cutting the tiles and using them for a baseboard. Is there a correct size that this baseboard should be? And should I put anything on the top edge of the tile to finish it off? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

View more questions Search