Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    outinthecountry Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 11:07 AM
    14yr Old Charge Off
    When I was in college I was pretty stupid with $, I loaned a CC out to a boyfriend who charged it to its limit ($800), and it was never paid. That was in 1992. After getting most of my debts paid off, this one dropped off collections... was still on my credit. I lived in a cash only world, afraid of creditcards up until recently... I have paid EVERYTHING on time and have very good credit, as this one debt has fallen off my credit, years ago.

I applied for a cc recently and am now getting sporadic (once every few months) a phone call or letter (not correctly addressed even) to me, using my maiden name which I used when I had those debts.

They are claiming I owe +$2500 for this debt, and I have been avoiding any conversation on this. The mostly call during the day at the home # so they leave messages... I claim that they have the wrong # if they call.

What are the legal reprocussions of my actions?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 11:11 AM
    If there has been no activity and if they have not gotten a judgement, the statue of limitation most likely will have passed on the debt. So while they can call you and ask for their money till you are in a nursing home, they can not take further legal action against you.

If for some reason the statue of limitation is not over, they could sue you and try to get a judgement aga isn't you

Nov 17, 2006, 01:59 PM
    How would I find out info on the Satute of limitations? I live in a different state now, so does that come into play?
    wildcatgirl Posts: 73, Reputation: 13

Nov 17, 2006, 02:10 PM
    Typically the statute of limitations is 2 years. Your case also sounds to me as it could be possible credit fraud. Do you still talk to the old boyfriend who had the credit card?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Don't agree to anything until they provide a full accounting of the original debt and the original contract. Most state unsecured debt is 3-4 years.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Yes, deny that you owe anything ( never, never agree you owe it, that oftens makes the debt valid again.

And as mentioned demand they prove the debt is valid, ( I don't care you know it is, make them prove it, often they can't)

And often if you tell them not to contact you by phone only do so in writing, most stop caliing

Nov 18, 2006, 09:02 PM
    Thank you all for the insight. I just wanted to make sure "putting my head in the sand" was not going to cause any additional problems! I have not spoke to any of the folks who have called as my maiden name, and just said "Wrong Number" when they do catch me! I have simply thrown away any letters received.

I have not spoke or even know the whereabouts of the exboyfriend... But I doubt fraud would be involved as I gave him Permission to use my card , and he just opted out of paying me back! Mom & Dad knew he was a snake from day 1, and I had to learn the hard way!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IPod Charge [ 4 Answers ]

How do I know when my iPod is done charging? Does the blinking light turn green or something?

Theft Charge [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, Yesterday I was charged with theft (under $5000), I stole a cover up and a mascara. I am just wondering if anyone has any idea of what I am going to be charged with, and if you think that jail time will be give. I am not entirely sure what the normal charges are, the goods I stole came to $23...

Under Or Over Charge! [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Know If The System Under Or Over Charge Without Using The Gauge.

Charge for an audit [ 2 Answers ]

I have a client who wants me to bascially complete an unofficial audit of her company's books for years 1997-current. She requested an estimate of the cost. Since it is going to be quite tedious and involved I really am having a hard time calculating the fee - whether to charge per hour or one...

View more questions Search