Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akhilshah1974 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 02:43 PM
    Married filing joint file tax returns, if my wife is working in foreign country
    Am I eligible to file tax returns in married filing joint status, if my wife is working in foreign country (i.e. in INDIA) for whole year 2009? If yes, what are the documents I need to file tax returns as married filing joint?
    Please assist me.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Yes, you can file jointly with your spouse regardless of her physical location. She could be on Mars for all the IRS cares.

However, a joint return requires that you BOTH sign either the return or the efile authorization form. A faxed or scanned copy of the SIGNED efile authorization IS acceptable to the tax professional who will efile your joint return, but if you MAIL the return, then the signatures on the joint return MUST BE ORIGINAL SIGNATURES.

Our firm handles this type of return as a matter of routine. If you want our professional help, email me at [email protected].
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 01:41 AM

If you or your spouse is U.S. citizen or resident, you can file joint return. You must both report worldwide income on the tax return. If you spouse paid any taxes in India, you will file Form 1116 Foreign Tax credit or/and Form 2555 Earned Income Exclusion.
    Saan2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2010, 09:51 PM

Does anyone know a tax preparer for preparing such tax return... i.e.. spouse is in India and here he/she if filing married joint tax return... will be of great help... Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 12:19 AM

AtlantaTaxExpert [email protected] have done hundreds of such returns

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wife was in India, Can I file Married Joint Filing? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I was working in US throughout 2007. I went to India in December 2007 and got married. I returned to US with my wife in January 2008. My question is - Can I opt for Married Joint Filing since I got married in 2007? I would like to opt for it since it would give me better refund but I...

Can you file joint Federal returns and separate State Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

We lived in different cities so can we file joint federal returns and separate state returns??

How to file if married & living in a foreign country [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am an American citizen who has been living in South Africa for the last 7 years. I have just discovered that I need to submit an IRS tax return for the last year. I have also married a South African citizen last year. Neither of us has any income from the US. My question is how should...

How to file returns with married status if wife is not present in US. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am at Santa Clara California since 1st Sep 2006 on L1 Visa. My wife suppose to be here on L2 by October, but due to some reason she couldn't make it. So, she will be here by January 18th 2007. Now, with my company I was on payroll with married status. Yesterday I got W2 form and this is my...

On H1 Married and wife in india + filing tax returns... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US - California from Oct 30 2005 to Dec 25 2005. For this period, I have W2 from my empoloyer. Now again back in US - Iowa in Feb 10, 2006 and will be here for another 6months. I am married, no children and my wife is in India and will be joining me only in May or June 2006. I got...

View more questions Search