Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roadvibrations Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 08:40 AM
    Septic Tank
    We bought a house 2 years ago that was approximately 2 years old. It has a septic tank. Lately I've been smelling an odor in my master bathroom (stronger in the morning) and now I'm starting to smell it in my master bedroom. The master bedroom and bath are on the opposite side of the house from where the tank is. The smell is getting worse. I've been reading what I can on septic tanks but no one has said anything about an odor only sludge backup. Could there be something wrong with the system? What should I do?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 11:53 AM
    There should not be an odor,

Is the tank working property, have you been having anything backing up.
    Is there leaks in the lines under the house.

There is a vent or should be in the lines, ( long pipe going out the roof of your home)

If roots would get into the fill lines, often the system will back up, also from time to time you will have to get the tank pumped to get the sludge out of the tank to allow the water to flow better out of the tank.
    bryncomeaux Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2011, 03:44 PM
    The septic odor might not have anything to do with the septic system. It may ony be a p trap in the plumbing. If is a master bed room and it has a bathroom check the wax seal on your toilet . The toilet has a water trap called a p trap it. It keeps a small amount of water in a little dip shaped like a sideways letter p pointing down. This water keeps sewer gases from enterin the building. Sometimes a pipe is too long or if it gets clogged the exiting water can suck all the water out of the p trap and allow gasses in. More likely the wax seal on the toilet max be out of place. It the toilet is not secured to the frlor really well or it wasn't set right the wax thatseals the toilet to the floor and keeps wast and sewer gas in may have failed. Sewer gas if its really bad can kill you in your sleep so crack a windo or sleep somewhere else in the house. Go outside and then come in to tell how bad it really is. Probably more of a nuisance than a danger. Its methane and that's flammable! So no smoking or candles till you getit fixed. Probably being over cautious but it not as if it never happened in th eseveral hundred years of septic history. Hope it help. Join the revolution outlaw spelling and grammar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nobody can find the septic tank [ 8 Answers ]

We want to pump out the septic tank, but no one can find it. Previous owner doesn't know where it is, and the health department has no record because the house is so old. We've had various plumbers and septic people out to the house, most of which probed the ground with a stick. One guy snaked...

How often should you have your septic tank cleaned out? [ 20 Answers ]

Just wondering how often you should have septic pumped? I have 2 full baths, dishwasher, Clothes Washer, 2 utility sinks, etc... My wife and I are the only onesliving here. Thanks in advance for the help.

Where is my septic tank? [ 12 Answers ]

Closing on my 1st house soon and I want to find out the condition of the tank.. unfortunately the seller is just flipping the house so he doesn't know.. generally how far and how deep are septic tanks.. I see a very big cast iron pipe in the basement leading out.are the tanks always in a straight...

Shallow Septic Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hi again, Because of the height of the water table, my new septic tank will be very shallow. The top will be at about ground level, and the entry to the tank will be 7 inches below grade. I'm worried about running a drain to it at the right pitch. The house is on a slab, with the existing...

New Septic Tank design [ 1 Answers ]

Hi again, One of my last posts was asking for help looking for the septic tank in a 30 year old house we just bought. They used an electronic egg to find the tank. Well, we found it. The tank is under the concrete slab of the house. An addition was added to the house, right over the tank. ...

View more questions Search