Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    upintheskyguy420man Posts: 104, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 07:52 PM
    I just got done watching "The Last House on the Left", that was really good. I tend to be really really into revenge movies, so if anybody could throw any of those out while we're at it, please do!

"Taken" was a really good one for that. There was another one with Kevin Bacon that was all right, called "Death Sentence".

Kill Bill was good for revenge, but I like there to be more leading up before the revenge plan/plot starts, instead of revenge being the theme from the beginning because of a previous (before the movie) plot.

The way Taken led up to the father deciding to get his revenge was perfect. I absolutely loved that movie.

Any movies where one of the main characters is brutally murdered/hurt, and a family member/friend/whoever takes revenge for them, is good in my book.

So lets get as many of those as we can too!

Jan 12, 2010, 07:57 PM
    Other movies that were good for revenge, even if they didn't lead up to it as well as I'd of liked, (and don't be afraid to look for/throw in more), were V for Vendetta, Man on Fire, The Crow, The Hills Have Eyes, THE PUNISHER (had a very good downfall, followed by a very good revenge), and someone mentioned Rocky IV, which was a good suggestion.

And remember the more the merrier, don't be afraid to add your favorites in, and don't be shy!

Jan 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Very cool, "The Dark" you say? I will have to give that one a look, and as always, thank you for your participation, I watch an insane amount of movies, within the week I will probably have seen every movie currently on this list!

I've already seen a good few of them, but am eagerly keeping my eyes open for the others.
    Frogdude Posts: 190, Reputation: 46

Jan 13, 2010, 06:07 AM

Yeah, I liked The Dark. Very good ghost story.

I haven't watched Last House on the Left yet. I got the DVD for christmas but I'm waiting for the Mrs to go out, because she doesn't want to see the rape scene. The original version was good at the time, but dated now.

Other revenge movies I rate are I Spit On Your Grave, Straw Dogs, Deliverance (which was directed by my uncle), and Southern Comfort.

Jan 13, 2010, 10:54 AM

Wow that's cool that your uncle is a director. And yeah the rape scene is certainly a horrifying depiction of the evil in some men. Made me furious. If I were her I wouldn't want to see it either. But I enjoyed the (overall) movie. It's the revenge that does it.

I've not seen straw dogs yet, its pretty hard to find. I've heard of Deliverance, which is supposed to be good, haven't heard of Southern Comfort or I Spit on your Grave yet.

Love all the help. I want this thread to get as long as it can.

Why is everybody being shy? At this point its more like a conversation between you and I than a thread on a forum lol.

Jan 13, 2010, 05:32 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. Maybe there aren't that many devoted horror fans on this forum? There are a lot of dedicated horror forums out there, but they tend to be populated by pre-pubescents who want to argue about whether Jason could beat Michael in a fight! So I tend to steer clear.
    Straw Dogs is quite easy to come by here, maybe because it was shot in England. Have you tried Ebay?

Until relatively recently there was a lot of cencorship here when it came to horror movies. I Spit was banned outright, so was the original Last House, and most of the cannibal films... and The Excorcist didn't get a video release until it was 25 years old. That made it more fun though, trying to track down pirate copies!

Jan 13, 2010, 11:59 PM

Well that's most of why I couldn't find straw dogs, torrentz.com didn't bring up anything reliable :-)

And I agree about the Jason Vs Michael ordeal, that went on for years, even in conversation.

The first ones that broke the ice were the best.

By the time it got to Freddy Vs Jason and the later Jason/Michael/Freddy movies, they weren't as good.

I also used to like The Leprechaun.

Jan 14, 2010, 12:34 AM

And to answer your earlier question, (I couldn't remember if it was the one I was thinking of), I saw 28 days later in theaters, and 28 weeks later later on.

Jan 14, 2010, 02:03 AM

There was talk of a 28 Months Later, I haven't heard anything for a while though...
    madman81 Posts: 95, Reputation: 11

Jan 14, 2010, 11:02 AM

Paranormal Activity
    The Car
    Race with the Devil
    Strangers
    Pet Semetary & 2
    Exorcism of Emily Rose
    Stigmata
    Butterfly Effect 2,3
    Pulse 2,3
    Wrong Turn 2,3
    The Mist
    The Gift
    Ghost Ship
    The Haunting
    Hell Night
    The Entity
    Fallen

Just to name a few I Have!
    bobbalina Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Jan 14, 2010, 12:10 PM

hi,
    well if u like suspense scary, I would suggest House, Thr3e, The Ring, Pet Sematary(sorry but it is 89'), The Mist, Silence of the Lambs, Audition, Jeepers Creepers. And all stephen kings are all right... excpet the whole alien envasion thing in his movies are quite disturbing cause it gets to a good part then its like '? ' lol

that's all I can think of. Hope it helps =)

Jan 14, 2010, 04:04 PM

Any opinion helps, and its funny you mentioned Pet Cemetery, even though its older I just picked that one up at a thrift shop in town today..

Madman mentioned ghost ship, which is a good call. I really liked that one. The way it starts so gruesome really hit me well, and turned me on to wonder what was coming, which was also good. Completely didn't expect the ending.

And yes, suspense horror is mostly what I'm looking for, with a side of extreme jumpy moments, though not the average some guy comes out of a corner and you expect it, more like the "holy sh**, wasn't that monster/ghost/scary guy like 10 miles away?" kind of jumpy, where you don't expect it at all.

Jan 14, 2010, 05:10 PM

A lot of people keep raving about Paranormal Activity, but I didn't rate it. The last few minutes are excellent, but I think the ending seemed more shocking than it really was because you've just sat through over an hour of very little going on. Even Blair Witch was better (imo), and Quarantine or (Rec.) is the best of the found footage type films.

I liked the first half of Jeepers Creepers, but then it got a bit silly.

Jan 15, 2010, 05:59 AM

I have over 1500 movies so I went home and went through them, some more are:

High Tension
    Orphan
    In Dreams
    Hide and Seek
    Secret Widow
    The Stuff
    Joy Ride
    Body Parts
    IT
    Premonition
    Cursed
    Skeleton Key
    American Haunting
    The Happening
    Valentine
    Silent Night, Deadly Night
    Minehunters
    Stay Alive
    Venom

Name a few movieS!

Jan 18, 2010, 04:19 PM

Just thought of something else - Creep. Made me jump a few times!
    HBF Posts: 86, Reputation: 4

Jan 19, 2010, 09:26 AM

Watched Paranormal Activity last night. Wasn't the least bit scary. Kind of stupid... the guy ruined it for me. If you are looking for scary, that is not the movie.

Jan 19, 2010, 09:27 AM
    Most of those movies listed above scared me as a kit (Poltergeist 1 being the scariest). Not sure if they would scare me now as an adult.

Jan 19, 2010, 09:46 AM

Like someone else mentioned nothing is really scary anymore!

Jan 21, 2010, 12:21 PM

Well its all based on what a person thinks is scary, and although for the most part I agree with you, there are certain movies/parts in movies that scare me. They've just become harder to find :-)

HBF, thank you for your input on Paranormal Activity, I've been wondering about that one for about a month now, and heard good/bad the whole time with no definitive "it sucked", or "it was awesome".

Recently saw "Lady in the Water", not really scary, but I most deffinately liked the suspense of it!

Suspense is good with me, and if you ask me, it's the start of scary.

Jan 21, 2010, 12:32 PM

Just watched The Final Destination last night. While not scary, it sure was gruesome. Just like the other ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Scariest Horror Movie: In the mood for one tonight [ 147 Answers ]

Well I am in the mood for a scare your pants off. I can't sleep at night, what was that noise kind of movie. ______________________________ Well give me your opinion; what was YOUR scariest movie? Now don't give out the whole thing because I do want to go into a movie knowing what would...

Scariest Horror Book Ever? [ 21 Answers ]

Im not a reader, in fact I hate reading but I'm determined to read a good horror, as everyone keeps saying the films are never as scary as the books... so I need a book that completely hooks you (as I get bored easy). And I'm a huge horror/thriller fan. So I'm on the hunt for the scariest book...

A fishing movie, an anime and a ninja movie from the 60's to late 80's [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everybody, and thx for checking out my topic:) As most people i would like to re-live som special moments of my life with the help of these movies, my childhood memories. Some of these movies made me very happy when i was a little kid. Now in my later years and in troubled times....i would...

Need scariest most horrorificly terrifying film you can think of [ 10 Answers ]

I'm having a party on haloween with some friends and I want to get a reallly scary movie that will leave us sleepless for DAYSS! I just saw quarantine and something along those lines- hopeless, no happy endings. The exorcist is on bravo at 11 that night so if anything we could just watch that....

View more questions Search