Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clueless777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 10:25 PM
    Resident alien with non-resident spouse - tax filing status
    I'm a resident alien that got married in 2007 but my spouse lives in another country. I've continued filing as single because we were married in another country. Can I amend my past returns? Can I now file as married filing jointly? My spouse does not work. Would this affect future immigration efforts?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 05:54 AM

Yes, you can file joint return as residents. You must both declare worldwide income. Attach W-7 (ITIN application) with your tax return.

You should file joint return for 2009 and after you get ITIN, you can amend your past returns.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
    Not that you can amend back to 2006 (and the 2006 amendment MUST be file no later than 15 April 2010).

Any tax return for 2005 or earlier CANNOT be amended for a refund due to the three-year statute of limitation for claiming refunds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I Jointly file tax return with spouse (resident alien & non resident alien) [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B worked in two different states in 2008 01Jan08 - 25Feb08 - Texas 05May08 - 13Aug08 - Texas 14Aug08 - 31Dec08- Illinois Note: march-April in India Spouse moved to US on 24 Oct 2008 in H1B got SSN in nov and doesn't have W2 for 2008 1. As per substantial presence test myself...

Resident alein or non resident alien and filing status [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've couple of questions to you experts. I've worked in US on L1-B Visa for the entire year of 2006 and 2007 and stayed up to march 26th 2008. I was here again on 14th Dec 2008 on L1B again for work and likely to stay here until July 2009. Q1) Filing taxes for the year 2008, Am I a...

Filing status Resident or Non-Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

I am a citizen of INDIA and came to USA on 13, August 2003. I am on H1-B visa currently and would like to know, whether I come under resident (on substantial presence for more than 3 years) or Non-Resident? What form should I fill to file my taxes?

2007 Tax Filing Status with Non-Resident Spouse [ 7 Answers ]

I was recently married (Oct. 21, 2007) to a UK resident. We filed our immigration paperwork with the INS at the end of November to change my husband's status from "visitor" to "perm. resident" in the US. We got the receipts from the INS and have received his appt for fingerprinting. My...

How to decide resident alien status for filing Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the United States since January 1, 2006 and I am still here in United States. I am in H1 Visa and my wife and son are on H4. We all arrived together. Can I consider myself as resident alien for filing tax return? Can I file return as a married filing jointly? My wife is not working.

View more questions Search