Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    savannahe23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 07:43 PM
    Can you take your absent parent to court for child support that they never had to pay
    Can you take the absent parent to court for child support that they never paid/had to pay as the parent who raised me never filed? The absent parent has had 18 yrs without paying one cent to raise me and help my family. I was left in foster care for 3 years because this absent parent refused to sign custody papers over to my fater, so he had to battle in court 3 years to get me out. I feel she should have had to pay to raise me like all other parents have to raise their children.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 07:45 PM

Well if he had to ( and he does not) it would not go to you, some would go to foster care to repay them, then to your guardian that raised you

But no after you are 18 they can not file for support

What happened to your mother ?

Why did she not get a court order for support when you were born or when she left your father ?

Jan 10, 2010, 07:50 PM

My father raised me not her. She is the one who should have paid and who left me in foster care
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 07:53 PM

Sorry still having issues where foster care came in, but in answer of your question it does not matter, there is no case at this point.

Jan 10, 2010, 07:55 PM

Are you a lawyer?

Jan 10, 2010, 07:56 PM
    Foster care came in a long story between father and step mother
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by savannahe23 View Post
    foster care came in a long story between father and step mother
    The answer is still the same. No! You have no right to sue a parent in this case.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2010, 10:17 PM

As the others have said you have absolutely no case for getting support. Your father was the one that would have had to file while you were still a minor if he wanted the support. The foster parent(s) are the only other ones that were entitled to support while you were in their care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child collecting back pay from parent ssdi and child support [ 7 Answers ]

My dad is disabled and child support and disabilty have been taking money out of his ssd check every month for my sister and I, but being in foster care there has been no payee for either of these for the past several years. I'll be 18 this year and my dad told me I could collect the money that's...

Can a step-parent be forced to pay child support for their spouses child? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend's husband has a child from a previous relationship that she just recently found out about. He has no relationship with this child but has been paying child support for the past 2 1/2 yrs. The child is presently 6yrs old. She has heard through a someone that knows the mother of the...

Does a step parent have to pay support for a child that is not his? [ 20 Answers ]

Canada laws please... Ihave custody of my daughter and she has chosen to go live with her father.. she is 13... I have remarried 7 years ago.. I don't work and have two more children to my husband. My ex wants to go to court and get support payments from my husband.. can he do this? :mad: So I...

How can I get a parent on abandonment even though they pay child support? [ 8 Answers ]

My niese's father has not seen her in 3 years and I wanted to now how to get him on abandonment even though he is court ordered to pay child support? He has not even made any kind of effort to come and see his daughter at all. Please I need your help.

When is child support not the responsibility of the absent parent? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm confused. A poster recently told me that giving up parental rights may absolve a parent (father) of the responsibility of paying child support. (I actually received a red-confetti disagreement over it.) Would the mother's agreement that the father no longer had parental rights be needed? How...

View more questions Search