Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Time to rewrite.
    I've written the first draft of my novel, put it away while I wrote another book, now it's time to take it out and start rewriting.

Can anyone tell me how to tell what needs editing or deleting, and what to keep?
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2010, 07:51 PM

No one can give you a good answer unless we read your story.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2010, 09:43 PM

We can't tell you exactly what to delete, but I can give you a few pointers:

Extemporaneous writing: it fills in the gaps, but when used in excess, can bog down the story line. Keep what is necessary; cut the rest.

When editing, you cut with your head. Initially, as you know, writing comes from the heart while editing comes from the head - and is followed by a swift knife... I mean, red pen! :)

Read it again with an un-biased eye. When you remove your feelings from the editing process, you tend to see what is unnecessary.

But, bottom line, YOU are the author. You will know what needs to stay and what needs to go.

Enjoy the editing process; it can be fun! :) As a writer, I understand (and sympathize with) the task ahead! Onward! :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 07:11 AM

Thanks. I suspect I'll have to add stuff rather than lots of cutting. When I'm writing, I tend to concentrate on plot and characters, and get lazy about description. I can see all the locations in my mind, so why bother going into details? That's where I'll have to try to make the most alterations, but it's going to be hard knowing how much is necessary.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 07:20 AM

That's great, actually! I tend to be unnecessarily verbose in my descriptions; I'd prefer adding!

Personally, I would read with an eye for those "mind details" you described. Whenever you think that the description is "a given," make a note (don't stop reading), and go on. When you come to the end, you can determine what is necessary to the plot line and start adding details.

What is your story about?
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 07:30 AM

Space vampire who gets stranded on earth. In her efforts to get back home, she makes a lot of friends and enemies and acquires a lot of new responsibilities. Not to mention some hot guys!

That's where the describing comes in. I can see the aliens in my mind very clearly, not sure how much detail average reader will need.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2010, 07:44 AM

Hmm... well, I would say "detail, detail, detail!" Sci-fi is a hard genre to write; the more specific details about "alien races," the better.

In my opinion! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewrite in decimal form [ 5 Answers ]

7.6123 x 10 to the 5th

Rewrite and balance equations [ 2 Answers ]

KClO3 yield KCL+O2

How can I rewrite this sentence [ 6 Answers ]

I'm not thorough in english literature.. so can any one help me rewrite this "tryn' to revert you back when im precious ..not hang on you when im null" Like I need you back when I'm strong not to hang on you when I'm weak.. something like this.. I want it in good english or maybe in...

View more questions Search