Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valerieh1966 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 04:40 PM
    Shower invitation for unwed mother, I don't approve of unwed parenting
    I was invited to a baby shower for my husband's cousin's 20 year old unwed daughter. I only know of her, not sure when I last saw her. I don't approve of having a baby out of wedlock especially when the mother is young and uneducated. I think this is just a way of getting lots of presents. How do I politely decline the invitation, do I send a small gift with another relative or do I ingore the invitation all together.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2010, 05:02 PM

You don't have to go; in fact it'd probably be best if you didn't because you'd probably have a hard time not showing your disdain during the party.

Just politely decline and send a small gift or gift card. I'm more inclined to suggest a gift card because it's something she could use towards the purchase of a big item and you won't have to spend much time looking for a gift.

Regarding your statement that the shower is just a way to get presents... well isn't that what it's about regardless of the mother's marital status?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2010, 05:10 PM

As niko said, the main purpose of a baby shower is to get things the baby needs. And who needs a baby shower more than an unwed mother.

But yes you shouldn't go. As to deciding on a gift, think more of the baby than its mother.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 05:23 PM

You could combine the two suggestions you've received so far and get a gift card from Babies'r'Us. That both shows consideration and precludes abuse of your gift. Decline the invitation, certainly.
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Jan 10, 2010, 10:03 PM

Nobody is perfect! Nobody!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Baby Shower For Unwed Mother [ 7 Answers ]

I work with a girl who is expecting her second child. Here is my dilemma. This is her second child out of wedlock. Her first child is only a year and a half old. The father is a unreliable guy and only come surround when HE feels like it. The other girls that I work with feel sorry for her and want...

Unwed Mother Moving OUt of State [ 1 Answers ]

I am an unwed mother living in NC. The father of my child is on the birth certificate and voluntarily pays some child support for our son. I have recently become engaged to a man who lives out of state. Right now my son's father sees him about every other weekend. What are the laws concerning unwed...

Unwed fathers last name [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a child with my ex and she left me for her ex-girlfriend and won't let me be part of the pregnancy... but I want to be there for it all... but the main thing is I want my child to have my last name... do I have any rights... or will it have to wait for me to take her to court? Please...

Unwed Mother Move-Away From California [ 3 Answers ]

My question involves paternity law for the State of: California I am an unwed mother of a 1/2 year old baby. On his birth certificate, the father name is blank. However, the baby has his dad's last name. The dad of the baby has never established for paternity. Baby has been living with me. The...

Custody for unwed mother in California? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello - My ex and I split up 3 months ago and he hasn't made any attempts to see our 2 year old daughter. Nor has he supported her financially at all. The few times I've asked for help he's told me to go to child support if I want help. He has no car, no license because of 2 DUI's - it will take...

View more questions Search