Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssyba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 10:03 AM
    furnace draft inducer blower problem
    Hello:
    I have a Goodman GMP100-5 furnace. I have a random problem that seems to happen more often when it is cold outside.

The draft inducer blower will start up for only 1-2 seconds then will switch off causing the system to not turn on. If I manually reset the system off and on, the motor will sometimes successfully start up and then it will run fine as long as it isn't turned off (i.e. via the thermostat). Can someone please help me figure out the next steps to troubleshoot my issue.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 12:36 PM
    Hook an electric meter to the motor wires. When the unit tries to start there should be voltage present. If the voltage is present and the motor will not start then the motor is hanging up or defective and needs to be replaced as an assembly along with the blower housing.

If the power is not going to the motor then you have a different problem and you will need to address the circuit board that supplies the voltage to that motor.
    ssyba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 03:14 PM

Thank you for your reply. I cannot get it to fail to start right now, but the voltage coming out of the circuit board is 123V which seems to be fine. I will try to measure voltage when it is acting up next time. But it seems like it could be the motor from what you said.

Does the circuit board shut off the voltage and "pause" the system if it doesn't think the motor is running? i.e. how does the circuit board know that the motor isn't running and shut the system off? When a repairman says your motor is pulling too many amps? What does that mean and how do I test it myself? Any other ways to test the motor?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 03:18 PM
    When a repairman says your motor is pulling too many amps? What does that mean and how do I test it myself?

Buy an Amprobe and test the motor current draw then compare to the motor rate. If to high the motor is drawing overcurrent and that could ne a motor or a overspeed condition my improper motor wiring.

The system board no's nothing except for what the sensors and other controls tell it. Then the circuit board makes a decission as to what to do depending upon the imput from the other items..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Power Venter (aka Heat Inducer and Draft Inducer) will not start on Goodman. [ 8 Answers ]

FURNACE: Made by: Goodman Model #: GMPN080-4 THE POWER VENTER (this is what the Goodman manual calls it but other websites refer to this as the Heat or Draft Inducer): Made by: FASCO Industries 70219565 Type: U218 Volts: 115 RPM3400 Customer Part #: B2833001S

Carier MVP furnace inducer blower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a CarrierMVP080--14 variable speed furnace, installed in 1995, but with only about 400/500 Hrs. of heating total. Heating will not come on. Dealer diagnosed main control panel and quoted $800/900 to replace. Obtained new Carrier panel and installed, but no change in operation. Furnace...

Noisy induced draft furnace blower [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone. This is the first time I am using this site. Earlier today, I noticed a strange noise from my forced air furnace. I believe it is from the induced draft blower motor due to a bad bearing. I have to admit the noise is not as loud as earlier, and I have not done anything to...

Inducer starts, but blower/furnace never fire [ 6 Answers ]

My furnace suddenly stopped working today. The thermostat triggers properly, and the inducer fan starts running, but furnace never fires and the blower doesn't come on. If I turn the blower on manually at the thermostat, it runs fine. The furnace is an older Payne/Carrier natural gas/forced air...

Induced draft blower problem? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Nordyne G6RC Series 90+ Upflow Condensing Gas Furnace. I think its about 8 years old, but I'm not exactly sure. It seems to be having a problem with the induced draft blower. What's happening is when the thermostat calls for heat, the induced draft blower won't come on, and then I...

View more questions Search