Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starshine1 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 09:18 AM
    The floor drain at the low point in basement is backing up when we do laundry. The floor drain is only about 5 feet from the tub where the washing machine empties. (We do use a mesh sock over the spout as it empties the washing machine into the sink to help keep junk out of the drain.)
    In picture 1, you can see the floor drain. Is this the cap I should remove to try and snake this line?
    In picture 2, you can see the laundry tub drain. Is that another cleanout plug that can be removed to snake from there too?
    It's possible that the main cleanout that goes out of the house to the city sewer in the street has issues too.Tree roots were an issue for previous owner, and we had that line snaked with a 6" bit just over 2 years ago when we bought house. We have since removed the Norway maple in the yard.
    (I'm not seeing a way to attach pictures)

OK here they are
    http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/s...floordrain.jpg
    http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/s...rytubdrain.jpg
    MRFOOT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2011, 07:41 AM
    You need to snake that entire Washing machine/floor drain line. I am assuming that they are all on the same line. So start by pulling the clean out plug on the tub drain and use a 1/2 inch snake. Snake it all the way to the mainline and hopefully that would clear it out.

Good luck (former Roto Rooter guy)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2011, 08:57 AM
    You have a partial blockage downstream from the floor drain. Normal discharges will pass but your washer discharges with so much force and volume that it builds up behind the clog and backs up out of your floor drain.
    Solution:
    Locate and open up the sewer line cleanout. Now cycle the washer and watch the cleanout. If it backs up then ssnake to the street. If the floor drain backs up snake from the clean out in picture#2. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement floor drain backs up [ 5 Answers ]

We recently had a problem with our basement floor drain backing up when we took a shower or used the washer. We paid $350.00 for someone to come roto-rooter the main sewer line out to the street. He used the trap next to the basement stairs inside to clean out. He pulled out a ton of roots and ran...

Basement floor drain backs up [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! We recently purchased our first home built in 1956. We have had a couple of plumbing issues arise so far. First, the kitchen sink wouldn't drain. We took all the pipes off the wall (there was nothing in the trap) and ran the roto rooter thing (no plumbing experience obviously! ) down. It...

Washer drain in basement backs up when it rains [ 2 Answers ]

My floor drain the basement backs up after a hard rain when I use my washer. The landlord contacted a plumber who said there is no connection between the two and that the backup is caused from grease in the kitchen sink upstairs. I don't put grease down the drain and the drain downstairs only backs...

Basement shower drain backs up when it rains heavy [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever it rains heavy the basement shower drain backs up with clean water and also the toilet rises and bubbles. Where is the water coming as I'm not flushing or running any water in the house. Please help! Thank you.

Basement drain backs up during heavy rain. [ 1 Answers ]

The home was built in 1948 (Wayne MI), and is tied into the cities sewer system. Just last week we had a heavy rain. I come home from work, go down stairs only to see our carpet soaking wet. I remove the carpet and see that the water level in the drain is flush with the floor. :confused: The...

View more questions Search