Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2heater Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Garage door replacement
    I will be replacing my garage door myself, and I have been told that it is too hard for me to replace. I have also been told that I don't need to relieve the tension on the springs. Can you help with this concern.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2006, 08:50 PM
    The springs are powerful and dangerous. Many people have been injured or even killed messing with them. I have never replaced the garage door its self, but I have replaced the springs, cables, and drums the cables wind up on, and I am still here to post this. Use your head. I have often used Vise-Grips to lock the shaft in place while I worked on things. The other thing is that in the up position, there is very little tension on the springs. The garage door sections are heavy. I see no reason why 2 men working together couldn't safely do the job if they use their head.

The shafts have disks at the ends that have 4 holes around the edge. You can buy a 36'' rod the right diameter, cut it in to, and have 2 tools to safely wind or unwind the springs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter drove my truck into my garage door.I have allstate. They said that even though I have full coverage, That the garage door is not covered. Since it is my house and my car. I have property damage, and the work's Is this true? Do I have have to pay for the garage door?

Garage door [ 2 Answers ]

We do not have a garage door opener, but always open it by hand. Last week one side fell out of the track and I had to slacken the spring to fix it. The door is centred and is not rubbing against one side... so I'm assuming it is just the spring. Now that I put the spring back the door is very...

Garage door problem [ 8 Answers ]

My Garage door is making the worse screeching, ear piercing sound imaginable. Also, Sometimes when I'm tying to close it, it starts to go down but stops and backs back up after only going down a few inches (all while making this terrible noise. I've tried oiling it without any luck. Any...

Garage door problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener and it does not stop when it fully closes. It starts to buckle, and it also does not go all the way up, only about 1/2 way. I am not really familiar w/gdo's, can you offer some ideas. Thanks, Mark

Garage Door [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my garage door. It does not matter what remote I use or If I use the key pad. The door will stop opening 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of the way from opening up. Light works, and if you hit the button again, the door does go back down. If I keep trying, it will eventually open all the...

View more questions Search