Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thirdxcharm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Research
    I have been diagnosed w/ Borderline Personality Disorder! It doesn't help that I suffer from Bipolar Disorder, & Generalized Anxiety Disorder! I want to learn about Borderline Personality Disorder so that I can know what I can try to change Or what I can not change! I believe that some of it is Behavioral! I am hoping that I can take care of this because it is affecting my relationships w/ men & I am draining my close friends! I need some help?!
    pumibel Posts: 84, Reputation: 16

Nov 18, 2006, 08:09 AM
    It is good that you recognize the effect you are having on those close to you- not everyone does. If you are looking for descriptions or explainations for your disorders, you can Google to find a lot of info. I used NIMH as a good research source:
    http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/bpd.cfm
    I went straight to BPD for you to get this link. Looks like BPD mood cycls are a whole lot faster, so even more debilitating.

Once you feel you understand your illness, I would recommend educating your friends and family so they don't take anything you say or do in your manic states personally. I am bipolar, and I have found effective treatment. Once you have your treatment established you will find you can lead a very normal productive life, so be proactive and ask your doctor plenty of questions! You are going to be just fine...
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 18, 2006, 08:20 AM
    I too have a mental illness that I have largely overcome -- PTSD and alcoholism. That does not mean I don't have some limitations however. Ditto everything Pumibel said - read her post twice! Lots to read in libraries, bookstores and on the internet. Support groups may be possible too. Avail yourself of anything that helps and work closely with your doctors and you may find it is possible to improve much and manage better what doesn't improve. Good for you to make the efforts -- good luck usually follows those who do.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2006, 11:49 AM
    I can't add anything to what pumi and val have said, except they know what they're talking about and you're lucky to have them on your case. Hang in there and keep at it till you learn how to work it for yourself. Don't give up!
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -

Nov 18, 2006, 08:08 PM
    I feel that the label "Borderline personality Disorder" has lost its meaning.

As a Probation and Parole Officer we were not allowed to use the term in our reports of people ready for release into the community, because psychologists tended to overuse the term. Judges and Parole Boards objected to this overused and meaningless term.

The jail are full of people who could be described to have a Borderline Personality Disorder (BDP) ranging from drug addicts, stalkers, sex offenders, depressed housewives who were caught shoplifting and so on, or people with compulsive behaviours.

This becomes more difficult if it is combined with other diagnoses a such as Bipolar Disorder, or schizophrenia seemingly having different personalities. Again people with BPD have all different symptoms and sometimes it is hard to distinguish between the biological and the psychological.

Yet I do agree, that BPD does exist and it is interesting to note that so called people with BPD often prove positive to four hour Medical Test for Hypoglycemia.

Thus I used the hypoglycemic diet as a first step in treatment, which was then followed by psychotherapy. This was done in a group setting, as it would be impossible to help people face-to-face, when in fact there are thousands of such clients in prison.

The way I ran groups is explained in my book Getting Off the Hook at page 7. This book is freely available on the internet.

And for your information, the hypoglycemic diet is also very beneficial for people with Bipolar Disorder, although it may not "cure" the Bipolar Disorder.

The reason is that the hypo diet reduces the overproduction of insulin, evening out unstable blood sugar levels and to a large extent stops the production of stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol.

If you are using drug for Bipolar Disorder such as Lithium carbonate, there are nutrients that can reduce the side effects such as taking vitamin B12 and folic acid.

I strongly recommend that you read:

Werbach,M.R.(1991), NUTRITIONAL INFLUENCES ON MENTAL ILLNESS, A Sourcebook of Clinical Research, Third Line Pres, Inc.Tarzana. Cal. chapter on Bipolar Disorder.

Also investigate the use of phosphatidyl choline and lecithin

That may prevent the manic phase to a large extent. But lecithin should not be taken in the depressive stage.

Always discuss any change in treatment or self-medication with your psychiatrist

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need research please help [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know for a paper how much the united states government has spent on nuclear research since 1944. If I can get this answer and the proof then I can get an A. Please Help me I am just passing this class by the skin of my teeth and I would really love to pass with an A. Update on...

Research [ 1 Answers ]

I need help on finding sources on a research paper. The topic is digitization in libraries. Help me

View more questions Search