Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fade22 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 08:15 PM
    Indicates "False flame or gas valve relay shorted" ?
    My 8 yo Frigidaire gas furnace is on the fritz. It does come on and funs for short cycles but it turns off well before it heats enough to trigger the thermostat, then it turns back on and runs again... over and over... Between the on/off cycles the red light on the board is flashing continuous which the diagram says indicates "False flame or gas valve relay shorted". Anyone know what that could evolve?

Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 08:23 PM
    Clean the flame sensor with fine sand paper or steel wool. Below are a few picks of what it may look like. Extra care is needed when working aroung the ignitor since the ignitor is fragile.
    Attached Images

Jan 8, 2010, 08:59 PM
    Thank you. I did that earlier today. Before I cleaned the sensor, it was actually running worse than it is now. The igniter would start and as soon as the gas turned on, the gas lit briefly and everything would shut down. Now it will run for five minutes, maybe a little longer before it shuts off. Do you think it's possible that I just didn't clean the sensor well enough? I used a wire brush and was pretty gentle with it. Thanks again
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 10:36 PM
    Fine sand paper or Steel wool or a Scotch Brite pad works the best. You can use a meter if you have one to test the signal. Sometimes the leed from the sensor to the board looses contact OR becomes internally damaged.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (42.4 KB, 451 views)

Jan 12, 2010, 07:57 PM

I had an emergency but I'm still having this problem.

Recap of everything I know so far-

Heat comes on normally, runs for 3-4 minutes, shuts down. Red light starts blinking continuous at that point (which indicates - false flame or gas valve relay shorted). The system resets itself and starts up again as if normal after about 4 minutes, then over and over.

I've cleaned and inspected the flame sensor.
    Flame sensor test reading 3.0 uA DC

How would you proceed from here?

Jan 14, 2010, 08:57 AM

I realize now that my furnace is overheating for some reason, but I can't figure out why. For testing purposes, I waited for the gas to ignite in the furnace, then I turned the gas down slightly (maybe an 8th of a turn) from the shut off valve (the main valve outside the unit). It ran until the thermostat was satisfied and shut off like it should do normally with no fault but once it restarted, there wasn't enough gas flowing to ignite all the burners. The first burner lite and that was it and it shut down when the flame sensor didn't get the flame etc... again, If I turned the gas down enough for it to not overheat, there wasn't enough gas to restart.

Earlier before I decided to turn the gas down slightly, I disconnected the exhaust vent, inspected it and it was clear of any obstructions. I removed my filters for testing and ran the furnace without them and it overheated. I actually cut a large panel out of the trunk (I cut a taped joint and re-taped it afterwards) directly above the furnace thinking that that would allow as much hot air flow as possible (in case there was some obstruction in the ducts), it still overheated so I figured there weren't any obstructions in the ducts causing the heat. My blower and exhaust seems to be working properly. What other causes of over heating could there be? Wonder if it would make any difference if I adjusted the gas flow from the electronic gas valve?

Jan 14, 2010, 10:44 AM

I also wonder if even though the induced draft blower seems to be functioning properly, from what I can see (the fan's working, it's turning on and turning off when it should)... but there might be some internal problem with it that I can't see. I'm not sure how it works on the inside.

I know my furnace is overheating #1, and there are no obstructions anywhere (I've checked everything) and it isn't a sensor malfunction (I don't think), so I figure it could be that the blower isn't working efficiently enough, or the induced draft blower isn't either or there may be some problem with the gas valve. I can't think of anything else that would cause this.

In my manual, it mentions some way I can change the wires on the board from the blower and change it's speed but it doesn't say how that works exactly. Maybe the blower isn't turning enough RPMs, but it seems to be the same as it always was.

Jan 14, 2010, 11:51 AM

This is a diagram of the blower wiring on the board. The manual diagram is on the left and the way mine is wired is on the right. Wonder why there's a difference? On my board, the blue wire is on the EAC tap (in the manual it's on the M1 tap) My orange wire is on my M3 tap (the manual shows orange on the M2 tap) the red and black wires are the same for both.

Here's what my manual says about blower speed and heat etc
    “blower speeds will increase the temperature rise and
    Higher blower speeds will decrease the temperature rise.
    The furnace is equipped with a multi-speed motor. Heating
    And cooling speed selection is made by moving the leads
    On the integrated control located in the furnace. The wiring
    Diagram on the furnace and Figures 27, 28 and 29 show
    The speed taps for adjusting motor speed.”
    It doesn't really say how to change the wires to increase the speed (if that's what I need to do).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced motor now getting "Limit or Flame Roll Out Switch" error [ 11 Answers ]

I replaced the blower motor , and now I'm getting "Limit or Flame Roll Out Switch" error 33. So yes it works, but sometimes it quit with that error and restart immediately. So if it's 66F now and I set it to 70F. It will go all the way to 69F and then quit with that error and start again and so...

Emails warning about "Osama Binladen" True or false [ 2 Answers ]

I often receive email warnings re. a Virus circulating with the subject being: "Osama Binladen caught and hanged" and many other variations on the subject. I never open them, but are these e-mail warnings True or False?

False "Insufficient Hard Disk Space" error when downloading Drivers [ 5 Answers ]

O/S XP-SP2 updated NOTE: Other than this specific problem, the System/OS, all Peripherals and Applications are working perfectly. I recently bought a new Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision to replace my old QuickCam. When I went to install the drivers/Apps; the CD began to spin-up in the drive...

Help! Need name for "flame" animation movie [ 1 Answers ]

The movie is about a boy (who is blue with blue hair, if I remember correctly) who lives in the water (ocean I'm assuming)... he goes to the surface and sees a beautiful girl who is guarding a flame. It is the girl's job to not let the flame go out. They fall in love, although it's like a romeo...

View more questions Search