Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    browneyedfaith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Catholic belief
    Hello,

Could you please inform me of Catholic beliefs, and how the differ from Christian belief?

Thank You!

browneyedfaith:)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 16, 2006, 06:44 PM
    Catholicism is a Christian religion.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2006, 07:41 PM
    There are beliefs held as Christians that are generally the same for all Christian churches. There may be differences in certain traditions. Prayers, and ceremonies that are performed in church that even vary from catholic church to catholic church. J9 is right. Are you thinking about becoming a Catholic? Do you have a specific ideas that would fit well with your personal beliefs. That is the most important to go by.

Joe
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2006, 07:44 PM
    Here is a good site for research:
    http://www.beliefnet.com/index/index_10002.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2006, 08:33 PM
    Yes as stated, The Catholic Faith is a Christian Church, and actually the first, The original Chrsitain Church after Christ spread and spread and as it did, local church leaders develped. As the larger churches developed, the leaders of the smaller churches looked to the larger churches for leadership and other help.

As time passed the churches of the East and the West ( rome) had various issues and the East ( Orthodox) and the West ( Catholic) broke.
    This was the first split of the Christian faith ( first split of any real size and lasting)

I could bury you in pages on various subjects, if you have specific questions please ask.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2006, 03:55 AM
    Yes, Catholics are Christian.

The main difference between Catholic Christians and non-Catholic Christians is about Authority. We Catholics believe that Scripture AND the leaders of Christ's Church are the Authority for doctrine and practice whereas most non-Catholic Christians (Excepting some Orthodox groups) believe that the Bible is the sole authority.

For some good articles defending the Catholic position on this and some of the other differences, see the links in the upper left under "Library" here.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2006, 04:04 AM
    But do Christians believe in the pope and the virgin mary?
    Cause I don't think so, while catholics do.
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 06:59 AM
    Yes other christian denominations believe there is a pope, he is this man who wears a white suit and lives in Rome, they believe he is the head of the Catholic Church. Each demoniation have a head of their church, or a group that leads the church, makes the rules for that church and changes doctrine as time goes by. You have the Southern Baptist convention and its president, you have the Arch Bishop of Canterbury as the leader of the Church in England( hope I got that right) the mormons have the 12 apostles who sit as their leaders, every group has its leader.

The Pope to the Orthodox is a Patriach, just like their churches, a desendent of one of the original 12 apostles ( not in blood line but in lines of succession)

And yes all Christians and even muslims believe Mary was a virgin and gave birth to Christ.

And I will just in before anyone goes there, no Catholics do not worship Mary, some fringe groups have gotten there in the past, but they merely have high respect to her.

And many churches other than Catholics, have saints, The Church of England, Epispopal, the Orthodox and in its early days the Lutheran Church all used the saints ( Lutherans still do if you get deep in their teachings, but the average church member never see it in practice.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 4, 2007, 02:38 PM
    As has been stated, one big difference between Catholics and the rest of us lies with the Pope. Read what Jesus said:
    Matt 20:25-26
    25 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
    26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
    (KJV)

Another biggie is with the communion. Catholic dogma insists that to say the bread and wine are symbolic is anathema, but consider this; when Jesus made the following statement, His blood was still in His veins and He was still in His unbroken body, so it could not have been meant literally.
    Matt 26:26-28
    26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
    27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
    28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
    (KJV)

There are many beliefs and practices peculiar to the Roman Catholic church that most of Christendom have never accepted.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston

There are many beliefs and practices peculiar to the Roman Catholic church that most of Christendom have never accepted.
    Most? Very interesting how some things can be the norm for 1500 years, then a minority claim "most" don't accept.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 21, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    But do Christians believe in the pope and the virgin mary?
    Cause i dont think so, while catholics do.
    All Roman Catholic Christians - who are the vast majority of the world's Christians - hold the pope to be the bishop of Rome and Peter's successor.

All Catholic Christians and all non-Catholic non-heretical Christians believe that Jesus was born of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of God.

If there are any Christians of any hue that do not believe the virgin birth of Jesus Christ as recorded in scripture, I would appreciate knowing which ones they are.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Before someone dings me about Galveston's post and what I said about the Eucharist - I am not agreeing with all he said - just offering an explanation of what I thought he was trying to say about the Eucharist. The Roman Catholic Church is no more peculiar or less peculiar than a Protestant church. If the word peculiar can be used at all.

About the Pope - someone is always designated as the one who is overall responsible for their particular demonination - whether the church is Anglican, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, and so on. The buck has to stop somewhere, even in religious environments.

Feb 21, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Response to sexybeasty's question. I refer to the dogma of transubstantiation. Yes, I do take communion. I believe in God The Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Ghost. At risk of being called intolerant, (again), I find Scriptural justification for so few of the dogmas of the Roman Church, that I personally see no resemblance of it to the Church that was born as recorded in the early chapters of the book of Acts. I am not alone in this belief.

Feb 21, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by browneyedfaith
    Hello,

Could you please inform me of Catholic beliefs, and how they differ from Christian belief?

Thank You!

browneyedfaith:)
    All Catholics are Christians.
    Nor all Christians are Catholic.

See the difference?
    Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 09:33 PM
    As stated, there are those like many catholics who don't believe protestants are christian either because they broke away from the catholic church and started believing new ideas

Just as there are those in the far right of Christianity that call Catholics satan worshipers.

But it is just that many of each group refuse to reconcise the truth of both groups.

They are all christian since they believe in Christ as the path to salvation.

They merely have various methods of showing that love, and differnce in order of service.

And there is no church I know of today ( any major denomiation) that is anything like the 1st century church, since they were basically Jewish in nature following jewish traditions and practice but merely had Christ as the head of the church. In fact you had to at first convert to be a Jew to be a Christian in many of the early churches.

After that it was merely meetings with meals at peoples homes.

As the Church developed there was only one church, until it spit 1000 year latter into the Catholic and Orthodox, So all of today's churches come out of those early churches in just the 500 years, and most in just the last several hundred years.

But since the Orthodox and the Catholic were separated for 1000 years, it is interesting to see the similar teachings and beliefs still held true within the Orthodox church which was not dulted with what many of the right wing christians blame in the Catholic Church.

So closer review shows that in all fact, although it was a hard track, most of the basics faith still hold true after the 1000 years
    So although a lot of the ritual is not for everyone, much of the symbolism is still the same.

Feb 22, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    As stated, there are those like many catholics who don't believe protestants are christian either because they broke away from the catholic church and started beleiving new ideas

Just as there are those in the far right of Christianity that call Catholics satan worshipers.

But it is just that many of each group refuse to reconcise the truth of both groups.

They are all christian since they beleive in Christ as the path to salvation.

They merely have various methods of showing that love, and differnce in order of service.

And there is no church I know of today ( any major denomiation) that is anything like the 1st century church, since they were basicly Jewish in nature following jewish traditions and practice but merely had Christ as the head of the church. In fact you had to at first convert to be a Jew to be a Christian in many of the early churches.

After that it was merely meetings with meals at peoples homes.

As the Church developed there was only one church, untill it spit 1000 year latter into the Catholic and Orthodox, So all of todays churches come out of those early churches in just the 500 years, and most in just the last several hundred years.

But since the Orthodox and the Catholic were seperated for 1000 years, it is interesting to see the simular teachings and beliefs still held true within the Orthodox church which was not dulted with what many of the right wing christians blame in the Catholic Church.

So closer review shows that in all fact, although it was a hard track, most of the basics faith still hold true after the 1000 years
    So although alot of the ritual is not for everyone, much of the symbolism is still the same.
    The denomination to which a person belongs is a matter of personal choice, and as such each person's selection of which particular theological route they follow ought to be respected by everyone else.

Whether someone is concinced that seven sacraments are essential, or if two will serve adequately ought not to be made the cause of an unholy war of words, name calling, or persecution of any kind, because none of these are calculated to persuade anyone of anything other than underline the fact that the name caller, etc. is a brick short of a stack, and that he ought to be busy getting himself right with God and not making the lives of other Christians uncomfortable.

There is more than 500 years of angry words, denunciations, exposures etc. etc. marking the differences and distinctions between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism, and almost as long a history of the same between various of the thousands of discrete Protestant sects and cults, and just about everything that can be said or charged has already found its way into print, and sometimes into clubs, knives, fists, and blood.

The Bible speaks words of utter condemnation for the sin of pride, because the mechanism of pride is to elevate the prideful at the expense of those they put down. Therefore, Pride runs directly counter to what Jesus said was the second greatest commandment and is, therefore, direct rebellion against God and Jesus, and no true Christian will be found with such words issuing from his mouth or his keyboard.

I do not care whether a man or woman is Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Protestant, or whatever he chooses as his way to God. Every one who chooses their way to follow Jesus Christ is headed in the right direction and it is not the work of other Christians to cause him to stumble by attacking him on his journey.

That does not mean that no discussion can take place about various aspects of religion, because such discussions are helpful. But their usefulness is directly proportionate to their accuracy. Inaccuracies do violence to God and Jesus, to the one against whom they are used, and to the one who uses them.

The most important work done in forums such as this one is the shedding of light on differences and similarities that we might come to understanding, even when we cannot come to agreement.

How welcome it would be if there was no flaming or slamming; only a search for information and understanding.

M:)RGANITE

Feb 22, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Response to sexybeasty's question. I refer to the dogma of transubstantiation. Yes, I do take communion. I believe in God The Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Ghost. At risk of being called intolerant, (again), I find Scriptural justification for so few of the dogmas of the Roman Church, that I personally see no resemblance of it to the Church that was born as recorded in the early chapters of the book of Acts. I am not alone in this belief.
    While I take your point regarding the similarity of the NT Church with the present day RC Church, do you imagine that any church would suit the NT Church comparison?

Feb 22, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    While I take your point regarding the similarity of the NT Church with the present day RC Church, do you imagine that any church would suit the NT Church comparison?
    Good question! The Bible record says that God worked with the Apostles, confirming the Word (their preaching) with signs following. I know a few old fragments omit this particular reference, but it is concise, and many other passages attest to the fact that the early church was marked by the supernatural. Glimpses of these "signs" have appeared from time to time down through the years. In 1900 (first day of the year, in Topeka Kan. I believe) there began a fresh outpouring of the Holy Ghost in this country, and the supernatural was restored to the church. Not all accepted, and not everyone prayed for was healed, but many have been. It seems that the supernatural has waned during the last half of the last century, but there are still miracles occurring. You just don't find them in every church every day! The Church that began on that long ago day of Pentecost is still alive and well. It is not in numerical majority, and never has been.

Feb 26, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Good question! The Bible record says that God worked with the Apostles, confirming the Word (their preaching) with signs following. I know a few old fragments omit this particular reference, but it is concise, and many other passages attest to the fact that the early church was marked by the supernatural. Glimpses of these "signs" have appeared from time to time down through the years. In 1900 (first day of the year, in Topeka Kan. I believe) there began a fresh outpouring of the Holy Ghost in this country, and the supernatural was restored to the church. Not all accepted, and not everyone prayed for was healed, but many have been. It seems that the supernatural has waned during the last half of the last century, but there are still miracles occurring. You just don't find them in every church every day! The Church that began on that long ago day of Pentecost is still alive and well. It is not in numerical majority, and never has been.

I have been reading a monthly journal of theology, in which one of the contributors discusses the post resurrection appearances of Jesus, stating that they were common in the NT Church. If that is so, why did they stop? According to the Bible, Jesus spent some of the forty days following after his resurrection with his disciples, "speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God" (Acts 1:3) and opening "their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures," namely, what is "in the Law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the Psalms concerning [him]" (Luke 24:44-45).

The New Testament mentions the forty-day ministry but provides only limited detail. For example, during this time Jesus appeared to the Twelve with Thomas present (John 20:26-29), spoke of "things pertaining to the kingdom of God" (Acts 1:3), "and many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book" (John 20:30). Paul mentions that on one occasion Jesus "was seen of above five hundred brethren at once" (1 Cor. 15:6).

Finally, before his ascension Jesus commanded the apostles to go "into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15-16; see also. Matt. 28:18-20; Luke 24:47-48; John 21:15-17; Acts 1:4-5).

As these appearances were such an integral part of post-resurrection Christianity why did they suddenly stop, and why are they not happening right now?

M:)

Feb 26, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    I have been reading a monthly journal of theology, in which one of the contributors discusses the post resurrection appearances of Jesus, stating that they were common in the NT Church. If that is so, why did they stop? According to the Bible, Jesus spent some of the forty days following after his resurrection with his disciples, "speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God" (Acts 1:3) and opening "their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures," namely, what is "in the Law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the Psalms concerning [him]" (Luke 24:44-45).

The New Testament mentions the forty-day ministry but provides only limited detail. For example, during this time Jesus appeared to the Twelve with Thomas present (John 20:26-29), spoke of "things pertaining to the kingdom of God" (Acts 1:3), "and many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book" (John 20:30). Paul mentions that on one occasion Jesus "was seen of above five hundred brethren at once" (1 Cor. 15:6).

Finally, before his ascension Jesus commanded the apostles to go "into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15-16; see also. Matt. 28:18-20; Luke 24:47-48; John 21:15-17; Acts 1:4-5).

As these appearances were such an integral part of post-resurrection Christianity why did they suddenly stop, and why are they not happening right now?

M:)
    You ask 2 questions. First, they suddenly stopped because Jesus went back to the Father. Second, you have to understand that when Jesus went back to the Father, He requested the Father to send the Holy Ghost to the believers. Now, when Jesus was present in the flesh, He could only be in one place at a time. Through the presence of the Holy Ghost in the believers, He can now be present any place there is a Spirit-filled believer. The Apostles and even the first deacons performed miracles, attesting to the fact that Jesus had "returned" via Sprit-filled men and women. Look at these verses:
    I Jn 4:2-3
    2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
    (KJV)

To my knowledge, the KJV is the only English translation that uses the words, "is come". This is a continual present tense, others using "has come", past tense. The point being, what Jesus did 2000 years ago (other than His sacrifice for our sins) is not as important to us today as what He is doing now. He lives through His Church today, and will do so until He comes back personally. So in a very real way, He does appear to believers today. If you doubt it, I can give referrals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changes in Muslim belief [ 13 Answers ]

The soul of Islam sprang from solitary Christian hermits, scattered here and there throughout the desert, consecrating their lives to God, and fleeing from the wrath to come. Even in pre-Islamic Arabic poetry we see how strong was the impression made on the Arab mind by the gaunt, weird men with...

Catholic Religion [ 18 Answers ]

Is it madatory to go to confession? If we don't or can't make a good confession will we be condemed?

Catholic dogma [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find a text of catholic dogma

Belief-O-Matic [ 5 Answers ]

I had originally posted this under another thread, but NeedKarma suggested it could be its own thread, so here it is! I found a fun quiz online called Belief-O-Matic. You answer 20 questions and depending on your answers, your results tell you which religious beliefs you are most in agreement with....

View more questions Search