Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DDave Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2004, 01:05 PM
    Shower drain
    Tom, how are you today? I had to move the location of my new shower stall due to room concerns. Here is my question. Can I come off th shower base drain with a long sweep elbow and travel 24 inches or so before I connect to the p-trap or do I have to drop directly into the p-trap from the shower base? If I can do the 24 inch travel it will make my install much simpler for me so I won't have to work at a long reach under my floor. Thanks Tom, have a great day. Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 10, 2004, 06:39 AM
    Shower drain
    Good morning Dave and welcome back, Ok, if you pick up the shower with a drainage ell, (doesn't have to be a long sweep) you will have a two foot horzontal run to the "P" trap, right? So what now? Have you ever heard of a running trap? This is a trap we build out of elbows. It looks just like a "U" with the inlet and the outlet at the same elevation. If you install a running trap you will have a clear shot at the vent stack. Did you pull a permit on this remodel? If you didn't, don't sweat the small stuff. You're trapped and vented. That's all that matters. Cheers, Tom

Feb 10, 2004, 06:54 AM
    Re: shower drain
    Thanks for the info tom! It is greatly appr. No I did not get a permit but I am still trying to stay within the guidelines. It is kind od hard to do sometimes in a house that's 120 years old. My prodject is coming along nicely though. Thanks again Tom. Dave

Feb 11, 2004, 08:37 AM
    Shower drain
    Tom, it looks to me like your advice for the running trap will work really well in my case. My only point of concern is the standing water in the trap on a glued joint. Is there any real reason for me to think it will leak sometime down the road? The area of install is not going to be accesable with out tearing up the floor {not good} or tearing out the ceilling of my dining room. What do you think? Thanks Tom, have a good one. Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 11, 2004, 09:27 AM
    Re: shower drain
    Hi Dave, just make sure the Trap is at least 2" deep and be sure to use PVC primer on the glue joints and you'll be fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Shower Drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tile shower which has a cracked floor that goes through the tile. I need to get the floor drain out and raised up so I can retile over the existing tile. There are no screws on top or inside the drain. Can someone give me some instructions on how to get this drain loose/removed/raised?...

Rebuilding Shower - Leveling new shower drain? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have come to the postings to get some help as I am a novice plumber. I've gutted my ensuite tilled shower down to the floor. In whacking out the cement pan, and I assumed that I've probably cracked the old drain so when I got to the wood floor I cut away the older PVC 2" piping back...

Leaking of drain from shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I noticed that my shower drain was leaking under house. I don't know much about plumbing but want to know what could cause this and how it can be fixed. Thanks

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search