Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: Butter or Margarine for Eating. Which One Do You Like To Use?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Butter

16 66.67%
  • Margarine

5 20.83%
  • I have no preference

1 4.17%
  • I use something else

2 8.33%
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 07:09 AM

Butter, butter, butter! :)

Except for times when I'm using a recipe that calls for cups and cups of butter - then I'll use half and half. I make wedding cakes and sometimes the doubled and tripled recipe's call for loads of butter!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 07:15 AM

Hello:

It's not a matter of taste. It's a matter of health. Margarine is hydrogenated oil. Hydrogenation is nothing more than a hardening process, but during the process trans fats are produced, and they ain't good.

Unlike other dietary fats, trans fats are not essential, and they do not promote good health. The consumption of trans fats increases the risk of coronary heart disease by raising levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol and lowering levels of "good" HDL cholesterol. Health authorities worldwide recommend that consumption of trans fat be reduced to trace amounts. Trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils are more harmful than naturally occurring oils.

Now, my exwife can be proud of me for being healthful for once.

excon
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 07:17 AM

You're freaking me out now... but I can't change my vote...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 07:21 AM
    What Sexy Exy said is correct Unky. Margarine is actually very unhealthy. One thing I also remember hearing (don't think it's true though) is that margarine is one molecule different than plastic.

Place a bowl of margarine out on the kitchen counter as well as a plate of butter... which one melts completely faster? Well, margarine won't melt completely without a heat source such as a stove or microwave, where butter will.
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 07:24 AM

I'm glad I don't consume margarine as frequent as butter... my mum often use them in cakes, to prevent it from sticking to the pan. And that's precisely where the cake tastes best, it's all crunchy. Well, better switch to butter then.

Have you ever toasted bread slices with butter spread on it? When it's still warm and the butter has melted into the bread, it tastes marvellous! :p
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 05:12 PM
    I'm voting BUTTER, before I read anything and I'm sticking to it!:)
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 05:28 PM
    When I was young my Granny only used Lard and butter, but I think more Lard. (I was told by my Mom that if you put a potato in bacon grease it will cleanse it and you will have Lard) I actually have no desire to make Lard, but I save my bacon grease for other things.:)

Later in life I was raised on unsalted butter, which was disgusting:(
    I only use butter, I have never bought margarine, I would rather have dry toast (and have many times) than put margarine on it. It tastes like waxy nothingness to me.

I now need to go make something with butter (salted)

By the way my cholesterol is great, I'm not over weight and I have no heart conditions, liver is good too (worry about that sometimes:rolleyes:)
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 06:18 PM

Hey Clough,

Only Land 'O Lakes spreadable butter.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 06:42 PM

I go for Becel Buttery. I am with muddy on heart healthy matters. I cook with butter where it is needed but usually add olive oil to it when frying. Becel is good for frying where needed too.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I go for Becel Buttery. I am with muddy on heart healthy matters. I cook with butter where it is needed but usually add olive oil to it when frying. Becel is good for frying where needed too.

tick
    If I am frying, I always add a little olive oil, the butter does not burn with the addition.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 11:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    I'm glad I don't consume margarine as frequent as butter... my mum often use them in cakes, to prevent it from sticking to the pan. And that's precisely where the cake tastes best, it's all crunchy. Well, better switch to butter then.

Have you ever toasted bread slices with butter spread on it? When it's still warm and the butter has melted into the bread, it tastes marvellous! :p
    Once I switched to butter, it became a staple in my diet for using it on food.

I've toasted bread and then spread butter on the slices. Yes, it tastes great! Almost don't need anything else on the bread. Although, I do usually dip my toast in something, like soup.

What type of bread is your preference, if you have a preference, Unky?
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 11:20 PM

Well, I'm not sure you have the same bread as me, Clough.

I don't dislike whole wheat bread.

I like usual bread that is not too 'elastic' nor the crust too hard. Makes my palate hurt and sometimes bleed even. :eek:

Oh and adding a sliced cheese on the toasted bread with butter before baking... hmm! The smooth melted cheese in the mouth! :p
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 12:17 AM
    Yes, I like melted cheese on toasted bread also, Unky!

My preference is whole wheat bread.

Breads are probably similar around the world. But, there are a lot of different varieties.

Where I'm located, we can get breads, like there made in many different countries.

In many ways, the world has grown smaller, but also larger...
    Business Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 01:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Yes, I like melted cheese on toasted bread also, Unky!

My preference is whole wheat bread.

Breads are probably similar around the world. But, there are a lot of different varieties.

Where I'm located, we can get breads, like there made in many different countries.

In many ways, the world has grown smaller, but also larger...
    A single mans' standard... Cheesewhiz...
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 01:25 AM
    Gee whiz, it's Cheese Whiz! :D
    Business Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 01:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Gee whiz, it's Cheese Whiz! :D
    I always have at least two jars handy.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 01:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I always have at least two jars handy.
    I have the same thing, Stringer. Although, mine are the generic equivalents.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 02:02 AM

Margarine for everything.

Yes, and I actually can taste the difference between butter and margarine and butter tastes gross.

Margarine is very easy to work with.
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 02:19 AM
    Why do you think that butter tastes gross, Jesushelper76?
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2010, 02:21 AM
    By the way, I've borrowed the book "The Shack" and will be reading it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does he prefer oral? [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are both 21. He said he loves me, but he was not comfortable to have sex with me. But when we slept on a bed, he wanted to have oral sex with me. I think I am ready though. I don't understand why he could resist sex when he faced a girl he said he loves.

Which is healthier butter or margarine [ 4 Answers ]

Which is healthier 1.Animal fat (butter) or 2.plant fat (margarine)

If you could choose, will you prefer you never had a bf/gf [ 11 Answers ]

Okay, I have been reading this forum and I think there are a lot of good advices from experiences people. One thing I have been kept thinking: it seems like dating,having a relationship is just tough, so if you all have a second chance, will you prefer it never happened to you and u'd rather...

View more questions Search