Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    New2Plumbing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 09:24 PM
    All Moen posi-temp shower valves stuck.
    All my showers have Moen posi-temp valves, and all except for my Masterbath are stuck due to lack of use. I had a plumber come over once while the house was still in warranty, and he replaced the cartridge in the guest shower, confirmed the valve was just stuck due to lack of use, and warned it had to be turned on once a month. Well, I forgot a couple months, and it's stuck again. So is my kids shower, as they use the bathtub in my master. Of course Moen claims it is dirt, just clean or replace the cartridge, but the web is full of posts from people with only cold water coming from their shower. Frankly, this is just a poor design, that has probably made Moen, plumbers, and HD lots of money. I've had it with Moen posi-temp.

So, my question to the gurus out there (especially speedball1) is what do I replace these shower units with? I want to do it once, and not have to touch the thing again. I had an older Moen without the posi-temp valve in my last house, and it never gave any problems. So, do I just buy a cheaper Moen model without Posi-temp? Are there really any good brands left out there? Maybe I'm just getting older, but I don't see what was wrong with simple, single valve, separate cold and hot handles.
    New2Plumbing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 12:19 PM

No advice? Anyone?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 04:11 PM
    Moen is a good product any product if you don't use is for a while will give a problem, Yes Moen recommends to clean the Posi-Temp shower valve cartridge, please open the attachment and it will show you how to clean the cartridge, Thanks.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf PosiTemp Cartridge Cleaning Instructions.pdf (240.6 KB, 2383 views)
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 12, 2010, 04:44 PM

Agree, Moen posi temps are great vavles, as are most all moen products. I personally have not seen any problems with non use of the posi temp, unless the water quality is poor. Are you on well water, or city water, and how would you describe the quality of your water. You are correct, the older style moen valve was quite simple and worked very well with almost all water. I wouldn't go changing the complete faucet yet, as most newer faucets have posi temp design, and will most likely have the same problem as your moen. afaroo gave you a great show of how to clean the cartridge, so give it a try and I hope it works for you.

PS. Tom, New2Plumbing is asking directly for you, so I hope you will jump on in and give your thoughts.
    asdfaaaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2010, 10:40 PM
    Positemps are awesome its normally the other crap that muffs them up just like the roads are 100% safe it's the idiots on the road... it's the minerals or in my case corroded solder that broke loose and caused it to develop a slight drip leak due to the solder laying over the oval gasket, pretty great to pull the cartridge out and a 1/4" piece of corroded solder flies out.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2010, 06:27 AM

Asdfaaaa,

Appreciate for sharing your experience with us, Thanks.

John
    jepdrp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2011, 01:58 PM
    When plumbing codes made anti scald mandantory, manufacturers had to change their designs. Posi-temp was moens low-priced answer. The Moentrol models have separate pressure balancing spools in the valve body. The control cartridge is the old reliable 1225 cartridge you had in your older moens (pull-push for volume, left-right for temp). Unfortuanately, they cost more than twice the average positemp. On a positive note, Moen will send you replacement cartridges for your positemps for free under their lifetime warranty. Just call 1-800-BUY-MOEN and tell them how many cartridges you need. Replacement is rather simple if your so inclined
    DIYandSAVE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2012, 11:48 AM
    Another reason to periodically run the water is to keep water in the p-trap. Water is needed in the p-trap to keep sewer gases from entering your home. The water in the p-trap will evaporate over time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen posi-temp dribbles out shower [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a moen posi-temp control valve and when filling up the tub water dribbles out of the shower head. This will not happen if it is just cracked and on cold but when mixing or on full hot it will dribble. I have rotated the cartridge and no change. Is this normal? Thanks in advance for the...

No hot water with moen posi-temp [ 4 Answers ]

I can't get any hot water in the tub/shower with my moen posi-temp faucet. I have disassembled the everything but the cartridge and cannot get hot water. I can rotate the stem 360 degrees and the water stays cold as it turn on and off. I have confirmed the hot water supply. Do I need a new...

My moen shower posi-temp only has cold water [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this forum. My Moen Posi-Temp valve in my shower. I just move into this house but I don't have hot water. Only cold water from the cold and from the hot indicator. Could the cartridge be installed wrong? I refuse to believe that this three year old house does not have hot water in...

Moen Posi-Temp Shower Occasional Lukewarm vs Hot [ 18 Answers ]

Our furnace 'seems' to be working fine regarding heating the home, but our upstairs shower over the past month or two often only has lukewarm hot water. It DOES seem like it's on colder days so perhaps it's working hard heating the 5 zones of the house. I've moved the thermostat schedules earlier...

MOEN shower head and control valves [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had the upstairs bathroom updated with new Moem controls and shower head. The shower head water does not have the same force as before. I removed the shower head and installed another shower head with the same results. I can see the water restrictor in the Moem shower head, my...

View more questions Search