Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbreon Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 08:41 PM
    Temperature and Pressure relief valve
    My hot water has been hotter than normal the past 2 days. I finally decided to go down and check what is going on. I found that there is a steady stream of water flowing out of the temperature and pressure relief valve. I have since flipped the breaker to turn off the water heater and shut off the water valve into the water heater. What do I have to do in order to turn on the water and have the hot water working again?
    builderbob1 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2010, 12:14 AM

You definitely have a defect thermostate. Change all thermoststats on water heater.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 05:33 AM
    Hi Dbreon...

I think builderbob is right on with this. I would go to a home improvement store and purchase a UNIVERSAL upper and a lower thermostat and then replace both of your thermostats. Thermostats are cheap... like $8.00-$12.00 a piece or so and are super easy to change out as long as you do one at a time and draw the wiring out on paper before disconnecting anything.

If you want to save a trip, pick up a water heater temperature and pressure relief valve and some teflon tape while at the home improvement store and after the thermostats are replaced if the pressure relief valve still drip you can install the new T&P valve. If not needed you can easily return later... ;)

Lewt us know if you have more questions... OK?

MARK

Jan 8, 2010, 07:12 AM

Thank you both I will try that and let you know if I have any questions.

Jan 8, 2010, 07:28 AM
    I opened up both panels to get to the upper and lower thermostat. Both have insulation that is soaking wet does this mean any thing different?

Jan 8, 2010, 08:14 AM

Oh yeah it is a Bradford white water heater if that makes a difference only 8 years old.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 09:05 AM
    Wetted insulation is definitely not a good thing. Be very careful messing with wetted insulation and those wires and the access panel covers, etc... ;)

Clearly, you need to look for the obvious stuff. Bring a flashlight, get up close and really inspect all the fitting connections to the tank... including the relief valve connection to the tank... see if you see anything.

Next would be to remove the junction box cover and see if you see moisture in the box. If moisture is present then most likely the heater is shot.

If no moisture at the junction box you could start removing any screws on the top lid of the water heater and pull this up to see if you see any moisture there. If so, the heater is probably shot.

Anyway, you need to determine the reason for the wetted insulation or you need to check and see if the water heater is under warranty... could be... ;)

Click on this link to bradford white's warranty confirmation page:

Bradford White | Find A Model/Serial Number

You'll need the serial number and the model number off the tag on the front of the heater.

Look for the obvious stuff, of course, but if that heater is leaking you need to replace via warranty or out of your pocket!

Back to you...

MARK
    builderbob1 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2010, 10:54 AM

I believe if you have the 2 problems you have water and overheating I would just purchase a new water heater. I don't know where you live but here in Missouri a 40 gal tank is from $250 to $350.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 12:00 PM

In addition to everything else going on with your heater I would replace the T&P valve too, once they vent they are never quite perfect again and can drip

Jan 8, 2010, 02:30 PM

Thank you all so much. I ended up breaking down and calling a plumber. $60/hr to tell me the same thing replacing upper and lower thermostat. I would've done it myself but this is nowhere near where my comfort level is. Thank you all.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 02:32 PM

Hope you got yourself a new T&P valve too
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 05:46 PM
    Hi all...

Dbreon... where did the plumber say the water was coming from... just curious?

Ballenger, I also mentioned the T&P valve needing replacement at my first post, would have been a good idea if the plumber changed that, for sure.

Builderbob, I've managed to save many, many water heaters that leaked from the wierdest spots over the years. Most of the time those little leaks turn out to be nothing more than the relief valve or a vacuum breaker dripping on the top of the heater and showing up at the electrical (electric heater) or burner chamber (gas) in some manner... ;) Sounds like this may be the same case here, too! Anyway, welcome to the plumbing page!

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace a temperature and pressure relief valve a o smith water heaters [ 3 Answers ]

Any hints on replacing a T&P valve on an A O Smilth water heater. I'm assuming you have to shut off water to the unit. Then do you simply unscrew, clean threads in wall of heater and replace with teflon tape on threads of new valve? Thanks for any heads up.

How to fit a TPR 15 temperature relief valve [ 5 Answers ]

How do I change this myself? It only looks like I have to undo two bolts an then just replace.. is there any hidden problems that can occur? I was quoted £160.00 for part an fitting. I looked it up an brought the part for £22.00, why so much or was he trying to con me? Look like it would only take...

Temperature Pressure Relief Valve [ 7 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and need to manually operate the temperature-pressure relief valve on my water heater. How long do I open the valve for? Will water come out of the pipe? I'm new to this. Thank you, Helen

Open the temperature/pressure relief valve [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure how to open the tpv valve on my water heater. I am trying to drain my water heater and I have read that this needs to be done as well. I also want to check that it is working. Jamie

View more questions Search