Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MMJ1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 03:17 PM
    Ask a human resource question
    I am a Marcom Manager currently receiving unemployment benefits and seeking work. Unfortunately I was permanently laid off by my employer prior to me starting IVF fertility treatments. I currently have had 2 different phone interviews and believe I will be called in potentially next week by 2 different employers for an in-person interview - both are wanting to hire someone by the end of the month. The issue I have is I will be first having a polyp removal surgery which will require the day of and the day after off work - this will be in the beginning of next month. For the actual IVF treatments that will start shortly thereafter - the first week alone I'm told I will need to come in every day for 5 days for roughly 15-45 minutes. The clinic does not open until 7:45 which is usually taken and is not open weekends. After that I will also have to come in for ultrasounds and for the actual retrieval which may require the next day off as well as transfer again which may require the next day off. I am so stressed about getting a new job and then having to tell my employer that I will need time off right away not to mention if I get pregnant I will be leaving in 9 months (I do plan on working again after the pregnancy). If I don't get pregnant my husband and I already decided we will try the IVF one more time which again will require some time off. I definitely don't want to have a huge gap in my resume in terms of time off and we do need me to work and/or collect unemployment - I am at a total loss in terms of what to do. The layoff just came at the worst time possible.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 04:28 PM

Wait until you have been given an actual job offer before you worry yourself to death. You likely will not be asked health questions and are not obligated to tell.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2010, 04:36 PM
    First, you WERE a Marcom Manager. Second, I would be upfront about the Polyps thing. Tell the interviewer that you have a minor pre-existing condition that will require you to take a couple of days off.

On the other hand you do not need to mention the IVF. Even if you get pregnant, you only need to let them know that you are, not how.
    When last point here. This is a Q&A site and you chose the Human Resources forum. So we already know you want to ask a question about HR. Don't you think a subject like Discussing Health issue on Job interviews would have been a better subject?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human resource [ 4 Answers ]

My manager is salaried. He had one day off to take his wife for a surgery. After that, two days, he came to work for half day. I paid him full for the two half days. But not paying his whole day off. He is objected not to be paid for the whole day off due to his salaried and he worked...

Human Resource and Management [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know on Human Resource and Management. Please explain the following topics to me. 1. Individuals and Groups. 2. Manpower Planning. 3.Job Analysis. 4.Development Of a Human Ralations Approach. 5. Industral Ralations.

Human resource issue [ 2 Answers ]

In the review process is it legal for my boss to ask me if I am looking for another job because she "heard a rumor." What is the best response for continued employment?

View more questions Search