Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    batman101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 10:44 AM
    Heating and conditioning trouble shooting
    Cold weather in Florida. When calling for heat I noticed heavy build up of frost on the outside radiator unit. What is causing the frost to build up? Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Frost build up on a exterior portion of a heat pump system is normal. The heat pump is extracting heat out of the air and in turn the coils get below freezing and the moisture in the air forms frost. The frost will eventually go away for a short time when the outside system section goes into defrost. This is a very simple explanation of what goes on and I will not bother you with details since you would need a class in Heat pump operation to understand the complete story.

Jan 7, 2010, 11:06 AM
    Heating and conditioning trouble shooting
    The frost build up on the outside ac unit seems to be blocking the airflow from fan circulation. Does this do any damage to the system. I used a garden hose and poured water to getrid of frost to allow for air circulation. Could the system be low in refrigerant and causing this?
    Thanks..

Jan 7, 2010, 11:11 AM
    If you read my last post to you right above you will understand why the frost is there. It is possible your defrost control or valve (reversing) could be causing a problem. I am not there to test it so I cannot help in that regard.

Dumping water usually will not hurt the unit but it should defrost itself. As far as the refrigerant charge is concerned all of those questions should be directed to the company that sold and installed your unit since you need guages and the proper knowledge in there use to figure out if there is a problem with the refrigerant level in the system.

Jan 7, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    If you read my last post to you right above you will understand why the frost is there. It is possible your defrost control or valve (reversing) could be causing a problem. I am not there to test it so I cannot help in that regard.

Dumping water usually will not hurt the unit but it should defrost itself. As far as the refrigerant charge is concerned all of those questions should be directed to the company that sold and installed your unit since you need guages and the proper knowledge in there use to figure out if there is a problem with the refrigerant level in the system.
    Thank You!

Jan 7, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Hope it all works out for you. It is daggon cold out there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Submersible well trouble shooting [ 1 Answers ]

My water stopped working at all points checked at the tank ( I have a sub. Pump,drilled well) it still showed pressure in the tank, checked breaker it was fine. Was waiting for the morn. To call plumber and in the midddle of the night the sound of the pressure switch could be heard. Now it seems to...

Trouble shooting my T.V. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older model rear projection television, the video and sound both went out at the same time, anyone have an idea on what I need to change out

Trouble shooting furnace [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a Altra 90 SX Armstrong furnace that has a cycle problem. The model # is a GUK75D103A with a Heatcraft control board 404030001 Cat. # 70K98 The problem that I'm actually having is that it is going through its cycles OK, except the induced fan keeps running and won't shut off. ...

Trouble shooting [ 1 Answers ]

hi I have 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 my tail light went out and then the single light would . Cheeked out both. Bulbs on the right side, know the kicker is the hazzards work, the turnsignal works, if I step on the break.pleas help. Note I have replaced the turnsignal switch. still no luck.

Furnace Trouble shooting [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Coleman Evcon Furnace. Model #15020A the problem is I replaced the Inducer motor, and The furnace starts like normal but then the flames goes out after about a minute or two. The LED light says the Pressure switch is stuck open but it seems fine. I tried to replace the PC board but can't...

View more questions Search