Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    senseial Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 05:59 AM
    Urinal drain schematic
    How do you snake a urinal ( it is not draining properly)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 06:26 AM
    Hi Senseial:

If you don't have an exposed trap on the urinal (most don't) then the first thing to try would be a cone shaped plunger to try and clear the blockage... sounds silly, but works most of the time. Make sure there is plenty of water in the bowl area and plunge... the pull up is as critical as the push down... ;)

If that fails to work you can try to snake the drain using a 1/4" snake with a BULBOUS HEAD (top image) on it... can usually get the snake past the internal trap and into the drain pipe. Be clear that once you get past the trap and into the drain pipe the snake can go vertical up the vent about as often as it goes down the drain. If this seems to be the case, you can use a DROP HEAD (bottom image) on the end of the snake... will, most likely, force the snake to go down the drain.

Finally, if that fails to work, you need to drop the urinal off the wall and snake the drain directly at the wall.

Let us know if you'd like to discuss this more... OK?

MARK
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2010, 06:14 PM

For those hard to navigate traps such as a urinal I carry a 1/4" snake that I can work around any trap going. Just my two cents! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Urinal Is Too High [ 8 Answers ]

A group of 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders, accompanied by two Female teachers, went on a field trip to the local racetrack (Churchill Downs) to learn about thoroughbred horses. When it was time to take the children to the bathroom it was Decided that the girls would go with one...

Urinal valves [ 2 Answers ]

How urinal valve works?

Urinal not draining [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a urinal, (American Standard) that will not drain. When you flush, it fills up with water and will not drain. We have checked the drain line and the trap in the urinal and they seem to be clear of any clogs, yet it will not drain. Any idea of what can be going on?

Connecting a urinal [ 2 Answers ]

I am planning on getting a urinal with a 2" NPS spud on the back for the waste line. What will I need to connect this to a 2" stub coming from the wall? Seems like this would be a tight connection to make between the urinal and wall.

View more questions Search