Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddutch Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 07:18 PM
    Taking power from existing 3 way circuit to power another switch
    Hi, I have another question, hope its not too confusing. I have an existing 3 way switch for the lights in my stairwell. I want to change the single gang box to a 2 gang box and add another switch to power 6 new can lights. Can I disconnect the hot (black) wire and add a pigtail and feed power to my new switch? Hope I worded that right. Thank you much for the help on my last question!
    daddysmurf Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 07:32 PM

You have to pick up the neutral some how and find out how many amps are being drawn on the circuit now , don't overload the breaker
    ddutch Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by daddysmurf View Post
    You have to pick up the neutral some how and find out how many amps are being drawn on the circuit now , don't overload the breaker
    There's not much drawn on the circuit, just one light fixture at the bottom of the stairs. Kind of a waste of one circuit, I thought! What do you mean by pick up the neutral? How do I do that?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 09:31 PM

It all depends on how the switches are wired. If power is being fed to the switch box where you want to add the switch, it can be done. There will also be a neutral in that box

If the power is being fed to the light fixture or the power is being fed to the other 3-way switch, it can't be done. There will be no neutral available to run to the new light.
    johnmprince Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Jan 7, 2010, 05:43 AM

To determine if power is being fed to the box- If the box only has three wires in it, black white red, it has no "feed" and you have can't do this without adding a feed. If it has a three conductor wire and a two conductor wire, you have to determine if that two conductor wire is power or a "switch leg" ( the wire the goes to the bulb). On the two conductor wire, with the light off, use a tester to see if you have 120 volts between the white and the black. If you do that's your feed. If it only has power when you turn the light on it's a switch leg.
    daddysmurf Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 05:24 PM

Please allow me to answer your question,Frist the new lights, 14/2 is used as a jumper between each fixture [type of cable NM14/2] the black wire will be used as the hot the white wire will be used as the neutral the bare copper wire is the ground.Starting from light #6to #5one piece of cable will be installed leave about 10" of spare cable at each fixture, at fixture #6 you need a mc connector to hold the cable to the fixture junction box.Once you have the mc connector installed hold the cable up to the connector strip off , around 8" of the outter jacket of the mc cable.Insert the three conductors through the connector ,the fixture will also have three conductors splice black to black {hot/switch leg} white to white [neutral] bare to ground. If you have noticed there are now two cables in fixture #5 ,#4,#3,#2and #1 follow the same action that you have performed on fixture #6 all the way back to fixture #1 The last cable out of #1 fixture will go to your switch . Now for the three way switch,you will need a voltage tester to find the hot/neutral which should come into one or the other of the switch boxes this will determine where the 14/2 from fixture#1 goes, then you can tap off. Now I know that there is more then just the stair lights on that circuirt after you locate the wires you need turn the breaker off and find out what else went out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One circuit knocking out power to another circuit [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 wire grounded Romex cable connected to 2 circuit breakers by sending one black to a breaker and one red to another circuit breaker. They lead back to the kitchen wall where one gives power to the garbage disposal and the other gives power to the dishwasher. Both have GFCI protectors on...

New dimmer switch will not dim light - taking power from 3 way switch [ 2 Answers ]

New dimmer switch will not dim light - I am trying to hook up a dimmer switch in a electrical box that already contains a three way switch. I am trying to take power from the three way switch to power the new dimmer and light. The way it is hooked up now the new light works but will not dim with...

Can you separate power to two devices from the same circuit/switch? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a bathroom overhead fan and a wall light connected to the same wire at their switch. Is there any way separate the power so I can turn the light and fan on and off independently?

Connecting power into existing meter. [ 1 Answers ]

I have built a new garage about sixty feet from the house. I installed a new 200amp panel and roughed in all my wiring. The inspector told me I could not connect to the bottom of the meter to run power to the garage. He said I could use a meter base with breaker panel attached ,and connect the...

Can I use Power from an existing switch [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm new to this site. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to add a new pendent light in the bathroom between two recessed lights, but I would like it to have it's own switch. I want to avoid destroying the drywall or paint, and I don't mean where I have to cut in a new box....

View more questions Search