Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 06:53 PM
    Silicone sealant around tub
    I am going to remove this caulk and put fresh. There is a large gap as shown in the pictures and there are indentations where the tile pieces connect.
    I'm thinking when I remove the old caulk I will leave some filler for the indentations and then when new is applied it will be smoother:confused:

Any suggestions would be very appreciated:)

Name:  2010 misc 001.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  42.1 KB

Name:  2010 misc 002.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  23.5 KB

The second is a little blurry, but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 07:03 PM

Is that a sunken tub with cement around the tiles?

The gap is WAY to big to caulk directly. I'm wondering if you can 1) remove the caulk, 2) put a 1/8 piece of wood or a form at the top of the tub to create a gap, 3) Make a concrete/thinset/something to fill the gap up until the form (hopefully it's the same stuff used in the original design) 4) Remove the forms before it totally dries, 5) caulk the resulting gap.

We don't recommend Silicone. Use DAP Kwick Caulk.

I hope other have a better idea.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 08:02 PM

"The second is a little blurry, but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about" no, take another focused picture. Also step back another foot or two and shot from a higher angle, the white glare screws up the perspective
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 08:27 PM
    Name:  2010 misc 003.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  2010 misc 005.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  29.9 KB

Hopefully these are better.

It's a jacuzzi tub in a bath area.
    No concrete, greenboard and tiles with sanded grout.
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Is that a sunken tub with cement around the tiles?

The gap is WAY to big to caulk directly. I'm wondering if you can 1) remove the caulk, 2) put a 1/8 piece of wood or a form at the top of the tub to create a gap, 3) Make a concrete/thinset/something to fill the gap up until the form (hopefully it's the same stuff used in the original design) 4) Remove the forms before it totally dries, 5) caulk the resulting gap.

We don't reccomend Silicone. Use DAP Kwick Caulk.

I hope other have a better idea.
    After reading this a couple times, I understand now what you are talking about, that's a good idea. I am not ready to remove the existing caulk until the 13th, so I have plenty of time to get the stuff, unless you come up with a better idea from the other pictures. Thanks:)
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 08:39 PM
    " Use DAP Kwick Caulk."
    This is good for a tub/shower area?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 09:30 PM

Pictures are much, much better, thanks. I agree but you guys are beatting up the name, DAP Kwik Seal Plus Kitchen and Bath Adhesive Caulk : HGTVPro.com This stuff has an additive that prevents mildew and mold. That is a poor original installation so its difficult yo fill such a large gap, maybe use a backer rod before the Kwik Seal.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 10:11 PM

I think you should think of this as a pool rather than a tub and maybe you could try some experimentation.

The gap is too big and I don't know what was used on the joints. It looks like cement.

Here is a company that deals with swimming pools and tile repair. Swimming Pool Tile Repair, Pool Coping repair, Pool Tile Cement and Grout

Here they seem to recommend silicone.

I'm wondering if you could buy some of their grout repair and experiment a bit.

As part of the experimenting process, you could buy some release agent. Liquid Release Agent : Concrete Stamps | Concrete Tools |The Concrete Supply House

I think I know the best thing to do, but you won't like it.

Since you have an area about the size of a penney, get some tile, the same color blue or black tile and rent a water diamond saw and cut the pieces to fit.

Yup, looks like a real pain, but I think it's the best option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sealant for plastic shower drain in RV [ 2 Answers ]

I have an RV shower was leaking in compartment below shower. I took it apart now would like to reinstall. What is the proper sealant to use for plastic drain on plastic shower floor? Thank you

Shower Sealant [ 8 Answers ]

I have a gorgeous shower unit that looks awful because the sealant has turned black. I will have to remove this and reapply some more. Hopefully this won't happen again. I live in a hard water area and the water is full of lime. Any tips on how to remove the sealant without scratching the...

What kind of sealant do you use on a plastic sink [ 2 Answers ]

Please can someone help me, I need to know what sort of sealer do you normally use on a plastic sink pee trap compression fitting?

How Do You Remove Sealant From A Tub... [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a house and decided to remove the sliding glass shower doors from the tub frame (non-ceramic, plasticky type). After we removed the hardware and tracks we noticed long lines of clear sealant that will not pull off. I am afraid of using a widget or any type of razor...

View more questions Search