Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cristina87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 06:19 PM
    Etiquette ask
    Okay. So over the holiday I found out through my niece that her mom and her dad got me something for christmas and I should stop over to their house and pick it up. Okay? For the past 6 months I no longer speak to them so why would they get me anything. Whatever. So I ignored her request and figured they would get the hint. Couple weeks went by and the dad came over and decided to drop off the gifts. WHY?. whatever, I said "thanks". The VERY next day my niece asked "r u gonna say thanks to my mom".. and my response is.. no. I NEVER asked once for these gifts so why would I go out of my way to call her (the very same lady whom I haven't spoke with for 6months) it doesn't make any sense to me. Am I being too harsh? I guess you have to understand the story behind this. But me and my neices mom, we don't get along.. we never have and never will. Please let me know if what I'm doing is wrong.. or the right thing?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 06:27 PM

When someone goes out of their way to get you a gift and deliver it, etiquette is to say thank you, even if it's just an email or a note.

Maybe she's trying to make amends.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 07:27 PM

A thank you card is not a hardship on you. Your writing style hints that you may enjoy rudeness for rudeness' sake but for your neice's sake I would urge you to at least be civil.
    chadley_71 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 01:04 AM
    There will be many times in your life that people will do things for you without you asking. Favors, gifts or the occasional compliment. The approach you have of "I didn't ask for it" calls for a more appropriate reaction of not accepting the gifts and reinforce the position you have to not be connected to this relative. Otherwise, accept the gift, say thank you and mean it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone Etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

I had an appt this afternoon with my doctor. Because I am sick I had called this morning to cancel. When I got back home from picking up my son from school I had a message on my answering machine on reference that I had not shown-up to the appt. I returned the call back and explain to the clerk...

Wedding etiquette [ 12 Answers ]

Our wedding reception is now going to be held outdoors. Wedding dinner and a reception. Prior to this is was going to be held indoors and it was cheaper. We had prepared the seating plan and who sits and near who. When we planned this we chose that our parents won't sit on our table as his...

Engagement Etiquette [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are planning on getting engaged soon. He has a three year old son from his previous marriage. I know that is proper to inform children of engagement soon after the proposal but what do we do with for a young child... and the ex wife?

Etiquette in different last names [ 3 Answers ]

There is a married couple, but she did not take his last name. When formally addressing something, should it be addressed to Mr. & Mrs. (his last name), or Mr. (his last name) & Ms. (her last name), or another way? ~G~

Dinner Etiquette [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, My son whom is 16 is dating a very nice young lady, her parents have invited us to dinner This evening. My question is , should I take something to go along w the dinner ? Thanks Slew

View more questions Search