Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2006, 10:33 AM
    Vonage Pricing guaranteed?
    I'm considering Vonage for my business line.

The rep I talked to on the phone told me that the price that is on the plan when I sign up will remain the same "forever".

I respectfully asked the rep where I can find this in writing on the site and she said it's not there.

She did claim, though, that there are customers who got the service when the prices were lower, and that even though the sign up price is now higher, the price did not go up for the currrent customers.

... would you agree that I have cause to be leery since they're not putting this "guarantee" in writing?

Are there any of you who signed up for Vonage when the price was less than the current sign-up price?. and if so, is it true that your price did not go up?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2006, 12:12 PM
    I have been with Vonage for over 3 years now. If I remember correctly, I paid $40 up front that included a Cisco ATA. At first I was paying Vonage $24.95 for local service to my entire area code plus 1,000 long distance minutes I think good all of the USA and Canada. Since then, my $24.95 was upgraded to unlimited long distance and later included much of Europe. With my old phone company, I was paying 10 cents a minute for the far side of my county. In the meant time, the feds and my state discovered an untaxed stream of revenue, and have pushed the total up to $30. Unlike my previous phone company, Vonage does not enjoy a government mandated monopoly. There is Lingo and some other companies getting into the business including Bright House, my cable provider.

Thinking about this some more, maybe I started at $25.95 and they knocked a dollar off once when the taxes went up.

I am not sure I have had any outages that were Vonage's fault. I have gone through 3-4 cable modems before I finally beat a good one out of Bright House. Last summer I had a chance to try out my generator. Powering up my cable modem, router, and ATA isn't good enough if the cable repeater doesn't have power.

You can take your phone with you. I had a little trouble explaining to the lady that called my home phone, that I was 6 hours away, and couldn't come running in town and unlock the safe for her.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2006, 12:17 PM
    I've been with them for well over a year. My monthly cost has gone up slightly, but I think that's from taxes, not the base rate. I just looked at the rates and I do believe they are higher than when I originally signed up. I doubt if they will guarantee a lifetime freeze on rates, but I also doubt if they will raise them anytime soon.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Yes if it is not in writing, it is not a enforcable.

They may keep this level of service, but then all they do is come out with phone 1000 or someother service, start switching everyone to it, and then give notice the old level of service won't be available any longer.

This is called sales clerk lying to make a sale, by time you go back she works for Cingular and they look at you like you are making it all up

Ask them to write it on your contract, if not, it ain't real

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fairer Skin Guaranteed. Lotti! [ 34 Answers ]

Hi I have been reading some of your posts recently and have noticed that quite a few members on here want fairer, brighter skin.. well this message is for everyone who wishes to achieve this esp "lotti" who ihave noticed has been trying to get fairer skin for ages but has had no luck.. One of...

Vonage [ 4 Answers ]

In case you aren't aware, Vonage is planning an IPO. As part of that they are offering longer term customers the ability to purchase shares at the initial offering price. Since I qualify I have been thinking about investing a relatively small amount (about $1K). I think the offering price will be...

Guaranteed Equity Index Annuity [ 10 Answers ]

In seminars for the elderly the presenters recommend to put all of our assets in a 'Guaranteed Equity Index Annuity' by Allianz, telling us that the principal is safe and guaranteed forever PLUS if the market is gaining, one will increase one's principal. I would appreciate anyone's opinion,...

Vonage and other services like that [ 2 Answers ]

Is anyone using Vonage or similar services where you can use your regular telephones to call other regular telephones via your cable modem? I heard an advertisement and I am wondering what people who are really using it think.

View more questions Search