Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    give2me1lemons Posts: 203, Reputation: 12

Jan 6, 2010, 01:03 PM
    Old Dog

(two Christmases ago)

My dog will be 17 on March 1st. She's been given the freedom to run wild around the countryside without a leash or fence and only a collar to mark her as "owned". She's been spoiled all her life, allowed to eat human food (no chocolate!) mixed in with her dog food because she refuses to eat it plain. Up until a few days ago, she would still occasionally run outside and snarl at the neighbor dogs for invading her territory (she used to be a scrapper, and she still fights back when the jerks tease her).

TO THE POINT: For weeks.. maybe months, I lose track.. she has been what I would call senile. She's probably 98 if not 100% deaf, and she paces throughout the house. She stands in random places, seemingly drawn to movement, and she trips over what you would assume are clearly visible objects-if there's no path, she makes one. She has also become scary skinny, even though she eats the way she always did.

Then last night my mom couldn't get her to come inside. She had a hard time standing, and when she did, she just walked away. I went out an hour later to bring her inside, only to find her laying awakwardly on the garage floor and twitching kind of like she was trying to get up... she was laying normally from the waist down, but her front half was facing the wrong way like she fell. My dad carried her inside, she ate normally. SHe was walking last night, and this morning she was walking outside, but she was kind of hunched like she was sniffing the ground but not. I made her come inside, but she leaned on the door for support and her legs didn't seem to agree with her. She's still eating-I think we may be feeding her more than normal now..

Do you think it's just old age and arthritus? Or that she had a stroke? Cancer that's sucking the nutrients from her?

She has an appointment at the vet tomorrow at one, but I don't want to give up on her and put her to sleep if she can come back from this. She still eats and doesn't act like she's in pain. She still tries. And I read somewhere online that animals can make full recovery from strokes, even serious ones..

Also, this vet has known my dog since she was a baby. I'm worried though that they would take her away from us because she's so thin. We feed her, but she can't seem to gain the weight. If she's going to die, it should be with us, not them.

I'm worried about costs. My friend told me it costs a lot to put a dog to sleep. We aren't made of money, and I'm sure they'd put her down for us if we turned her over to them, but again, she should be with us. Then if it is a stroke and she can recover, I'm worried about how much scans and procedures would cost. If she can recover, she should be given that chance, and she shouldn't be euthanized before she's ready.

Sorry it's long. I know what happens tomorrow will happen, but I guess I'm looking for a heads up..
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 01:31 PM

Sounds like you need to take your dog into the vet for an old dog check up. You should have a blood panal run to see if all her organs are working the way they should be...

Unfortunately, when dogs think its time for them to go, they will wander off... Maybe your dog is trying to tell you something...

I, too have a crazy old dog... But she is still motoring around good. I would compare her to someone with Dimension. Tried to give her some pills, but it didn't seem to effect her.

Like I said... maybe your dog is trying to tell you something... You need to see a vet in order to have your questions properly answered.

I'm sorry to hear your girl is having problems :( I wish you luck... 17 is an old dog.. You did good with her :)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 03:44 PM

Could be a couple of days, could be a couple of months, but it does sound like she's getting ready to go away. I hope the vet says I'm wrong, but it's consistent with the way dogs act.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 11:04 AM

Aww I am sorry for your old girl. I hope the Vet says there is more life left to her yet, but it does seem she may be trying to tell you something...
    17 years is a good life for a dog. It's hard to let them go. I wish you all the best! And I hope everything works out for you.

Jan 7, 2010, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Aww I am sorry for your old girl. I hope the Vet says there is more life left to her yet, but it does seem she may be trying to tell you something...
    17 years is a good life for a dog. It's hard to let them go. I wish you all the best! and I hope everything works out for you.
    My mom called and she's on the way home... with my dog!

Apparentally the vet said he couldn't find anything wrong with her (other than the fact she looks like a skeleton?).

I think it was the four mini cupcakes she had last night (intentionally made with yellow cake and rainbow chip frosting for my dad's birthday so she could have some in case last night was her last). She was up walking more again today and actually pulling on the leash a little like her old self. She's a tough old broad.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 12:01 PM

Oh Good!
    That is so exciting! :)
    Aww poor little girl had a suguar rush lol.
    Ahh well, all the best!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2010, 12:57 PM
    I'm so glad to hear that she is OK and free to run and play again:D
    Great picture by the way.:)

Jan 7, 2010, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I'm so glad to hear that she is OK and free to run and play again:D
    Great picture by the way.:)
    Well he said she is deaf and she likely has alzheimers, but she can see. He said there is a reason she's not gaining weight, and he could do tests, but at her age, he doesn't think it's.. necessary, I guess. He said her episode the other night was likely her brain not being able to control her legs rather than something physical, but all her systems seem to be working well and that she has an incredibly strong pulse. However he also said that her remarkable recovery may just be her rallying before she passes on, but I'm happy to have a little more time with her at least. He also said she doesn't appear to be in pain.

Until then, she's spoiled. She rode home in my mom's lap (got a little excited when she saw she was almost home-not a fan of vets or cars). Such a cool dog.

Thanks, Just Dahlia. Her name is Ginger. Can you see why? :)
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jan 7, 2010, 04:01 PM

I'm glad you still get to spend some time with her.

Good Luck

Joy

Mar 31, 2010, 08:50 AM
    She passed away this morning in the garden. I haven't seen her yet, we haven't buried her, I just found out.

I don't know if it hasn't hit me yet, but I'm not really sad. I'm kind of relieved she's at peace now. I'm glad we didn't put her to sleep, and that she had a couple more months to die when she was ready. I'm glad she got to see another birthday and for the snow to melt.

Just wanted to let you know. Thanks for the help, everyone.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2010, 09:28 AM

I'm so sorry :( :( :( :( *hugs*
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 09:34 AM

I'm sorry to hear that :(

But I am sure she is in a happy place now and is back to full health, doing what she loves :From the sounds of it she had a very full, long life and I'm sure she knew how much she was loved.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2010, 11:12 AM

I'm so sorry for you:(
    Dogs Expert

Mar 31, 2010, 04:48 PM

Aww Sorry for your loss. :(
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2010, 06:17 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. She looks and sounds like she was an awesome dog.. I know your hurting right now.. but I just wanted to say, she looks a lot like my dog rebel... *he is gone now too* we're all here if you need us
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 06:27 AM
    I'm so sorry about your sweet dog. It hurts and I know you are hurting. Here's something you may want to look at later. It helped me when our seal-point siamese passed away. Hugs to you:)

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
    Dogs Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 07:15 AM

I have never clicked on that link, and I have seen it posted many times. I am way too sensitive for that!

Next time I am looking for a good cry I will check it out.
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I have never clicked on that link, and I have seen it posted many times. I am way too sensitive for that!

Next time I am looking for a good cry I will check it out.

Bella I have it framed sitting beside a little wooden container with our cats ashes. I'm sorry, I don't want you to cry.:)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 08:52 AM

I have been tempted to print it out and frame it but I know I would tear up every time I walked past it.
    It makes me cry but it's both a happy and sad cry at the same time.
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I have been tempted to print it out and frame it but I know I would tear up every time I walked past it.
    It makes me cry but it's both a happy and sad cry at the same time.
    It does make me cry, but it makes me feel better knowing Jaspie is in a place like that!:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Neglected dog. My neighbor leaves her dog locked in a cage all day while she is at [ 5 Answers ]

Work, then comes home lets the dog out and locks the dog right back up again in her cage and she proceeds to go out until all hours of the night. I hear the dog moving around in the cage. I don't understand why she even has a dog, she doesn't spend any time with it. Besides dogs not being...

Compensation for Dog Expenses. My Dog Was Legally Stolen. [ 3 Answers ]

Unfortunately and sadly I fell victim to my significant other of 6 years... that during our relationship my dog was killed by a car in front of our home. She as open to my getting another dog but asked to participate in the search as she had learned she had some allergies to pet dander and would...

Aggressive and protective shelter dog to resident dog. [ 3 Answers ]

Someone please help me. My husband and I are from Alaska and just adopted a 2 year old sharpei/terrier mix from a high kill shelter in California. We have a very sweet and submissive 2 year old Golden Retriever at home that needed a companion while we are at work (about 3 hrs at home at a...

Good dog gone bad - dog going potty in house. [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old boxer/american bulldog mix. He was trained to go potty outside since we've had him (we got him when he was 2 months old) and he's been pretty good at going, with only the occasional accidents, mostly when he was younger. Lately, though, he's been going to the bathroom in the...

View more questions Search