Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Nov 16, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Today is "Great American Smoke Out" Day
    As some of yous may or may not know... I am a smoker! I smoke approximately a pack and a half a day! Way too much!

I have a 12 year old daughter that has been driving me crazy with wanting me to quit. (Understandably). She will hide my cigarettes or throw them away when I'm not looking!

My question: Does anybody have any good advise on how to help me quit?

I have gotten suggestions like: chew on a tooth pick, chew gum, exercise, etc. etc...

I have checked out some good sites on the internet but... I was hoping to get some advise here!

Thanks!!

P.S. If anyone wants to join me in the quit... all the better!!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 16, 2006, 09:10 AM
    I quit nearly ten years ago when I didn't think I could. I had tried to quit and failed so many times before, but that last time there was something different, a willingness to do whatever it takes, a willingness to do what people in the recovery business would call 12-step it.

I used the patch and if you are doing or considering likewise, I have much to say on it which I think you would find useful but I don't want to waste your time here if you aren't.

Additionally, I found I had to suspend certain activities for a while until I could handle doing them sans ciggy -- coffee was one (although coffee eventually returned). Also I spent a lot more time in places where I couldn't smoke (movies, swimming pool, etc.) and ducked the smoking places too. That helped.

It really is a one day at a time, one hour, sometimes five minutes LOL thing. When the urge hit, I tried to distract myself so I didn't focus on it and make it grow. The urge does pass, it did for me and usually within minutes. I would say one down, a million to go and laugh! LOL But it wasn't even that because I eventually lost track. I think it was right around the 90 day mark that I recall having my first whole day not giving it a single thought to it, experiencing being quit as totally effortless for the first time. It was an amazingly great feeling worth the slogging to get there. It may come sooner for you, no telling.

Its absolutely worth it so here's my hat off to you, Single!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2006, 09:20 AM
    I would like to quit too, but then I'm weak and I say but I enjoy smoking. I smoke about 10 -12 cigs a day, which isn't too bad but I'm still a smoker :(

My aunt quit 11 months ago she used to smoke a pack and a bit in 1 day, she tried and started again, but now its final 11 months of none smoking, she didn't use no patchs, no gum, nothing, just will power!

Nov 16, 2006, 09:34 AM
    Well... In the last two years I quit for 2 months both times. I put on 15 lbs the first time and 10 lbs the second time. That is a fear for I am single! I know... I know... that is stupid! I am not obese by any means but I can't afford to gain anymore weight. That is a big fear for me. Exercising has helped to a point. I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment with my daughter with not a lot of room to maneuver around.

I told myself that if I quit for good this time (tried quitting 5 times now) that I would take my daughter on a trip in May after she gets out of school. I keep trying to focus myself on not just my health benefits but my daughters.

I also work part-time at a bar in my town. I work everyother weekend and that was what got me the last couple times that I quit. I know that once I quit, I won't need this job at the bar as the bar wages pays for my cigarettes.

My doctor prescripbed Chantix. It is a new drug that has an appetite suppressent in it! Only thing is that my health insurance won't help cover the cost. I called my health insurance company and it is $103.09 for the first 28 days. The program is 58 days long!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2006, 09:36 AM
    WOW that's expensive.
    Not sure we have Chantix in Europe haven't heard of them.

Good Luck x

Nov 16, 2006, 09:44 AM
    I think, from what I experienced and from watching others, that there almost always is a weight gain, but it can and does work off later, when the metabolism adjusts. I found a new lung capacity developed that made it possible for me to become more and more physical over time. The trick is to not have the gain be too great. So when you quit (using whatever you use and you might look into what DOES your insurance cover too- that would be the "can do" approach, okay? LOL) you make a deal with yourself that every time you get an urge, you do some excersise for five or ten minutes instead-- giving it the old double whammy! Start packing a jump rope instead of a pack and a lighter. Think outside the box!

Nov 16, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Just so yous know... I REALLY DO WANT TO QUIT!! After a month of not smoking this last time... I told myself... "Oh, I am definately smoke free". Maybe I got too cocky about it!

Thank you both for the support. My dad use to smoke and he always tells me... "It is all in your head Renee".

I also tell myself to look at my mother who is a very large woman, smokes at least 2 paks a day and has health problems. Recently received the bad news that she has diabetes.

I need to think of her and how I don't want to be like that!

Thanks again for the help! I will keep yous posted on my PROGRESS! (Positive attitude... Right?? )

Nov 16, 2006, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    I would like to quit too, but then im weak and i say but i enjoy smoking. I smoke about 10 -12 cigs a day, which isnt too bad but im still a smoker :(

My aunt quit 11 months ago she used to smoke a pack and a bit in 1 day, she tried and started again, but now its final 11 months of none smoking, she didnt use no patchs, no gum, nothing, just will power!
    I use to say the same thing about how I enjoy smoking. I do still enjoy it at times but... I need to feel healthier!

Girl... when you are ready... let me know! By the time you want to quit, I will be strong enough to help you! I don't believe anyone should quit until they truly WANT to quit!

SMILES...
    pumibel Posts: 84, Reputation: 16

Nov 16, 2006, 03:56 PM
    I have been 100% smoke free since 1 March 2003. I quit on my 30th birthday as a present to myself. That is the way you have to look at it. I started using the patch, and after a few weeks I started to forget it in the AM. I would remember it really late in the day, so I just stopped using the patch, as well.

I felt yucky for about 3 months- all the deep-set crud was emerging from my alveoli in my lungs. For a while I was wondering why I even quit, but I was determined not to start up again.

I gained 15 pounds, which devastated me because I am obsessive about being thin. I did manage to lose it, but it took me two years. Even though I am obsessed with my weight I was willing to carry around the extra pounds rather than start up again.

I have dreams sometimes that I smoke, and then I wake up feeling sooo guilty. What a relief it is when I realize it was a dream!

Anyway- good luck to the "quitters!" It is really the best thing you can do for yourself. Once you have the monkey off your back you won't want it back. Smoking controls your life- it chooses your friends and where you hang out. It interrupts your work and ruins your health, AND you pay large amounts of money to let it do this to you.

Take it as seriously as a crack addiction- see your Dr if you are not sure how to stop. I think a lot of health plans cover smoking cessation now

Nov 16, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SINGLE4
    I use to say the same thing about how I enjoy smoking. I do still enjoy it at times but... I need to feel healthier! SMILES..........
    That's the attitude Single, think of it not so much as quitting smoking as much as joining the PAB... Pure Air Breathers! :p

You can dooooooooooo it!!

Nov 16, 2006, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    That's the attitude Single, think of it not so much as quitting smoking as much as joining the PAB......Pure Air Breathers! :p

You can dooooooooooo it!!!

I WISH I HAD SOMEONE LIKE YOU AROUND ALL THE TIME! All I have is "smoker" friends! I know they aren't going to be a lot of help! But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. (Maybe I need a change of friends... Hee Hee)
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 16, 2006, 04:22 PM
    Cold turkey was the only way for me. Before that, I tried clove cigarettes, ginseng cigarettes, chewing tobacco, a pipe... I was an asthmatic for the entire twelve years I smoked. I was using my inhaler three times a day, just so I could have another cigarette. I went from smoking Marlboros, Camels and Pall Malls, to the point where I couldn't even smoke Carletons or Parliament Ultra Lights without wheezing. I literally couldn't smoke any more. I had to quit to save my life. I finally quit at age 25, having started at age 13. I've barely had one in eleven years.
    Trust me, most days you'd be much happier without them. :)
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2006, 07:08 PM
    I've never smoked, but I've had lots of friends who did and quit. My observation is that it's different for everybody. For some, it's just one day they decide they're done and that's it. More often, it takes several tries. I'm not sure it's just a difference of will power either. I think the biochemical basis of the addiction may be more severe or something. Of course, those who have a really hard time with it think it's not fair that others can do it more easily. Well, it's not fair, but however hard it is, that's how hard it is. And you still have to do it if you want it done. I really respect all of you who have done it and are doing it. Hang in there until you "git 'r dun".
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2006, 07:33 PM
    This is probably of no help at all but thought id share.

My dad used to smoke enough for me to hate it and ask him stop. He tried a few things etc but nothing worked.

But one day he was talking to a friend and they simply said something along these lines "Joe, you can try anything in the world to stop. patches, gum, exercise etc. But if you dont want to stop you wont. You have to want to in your mind. You have to be strong enough in your mind to stop. Are you strong enough Joe in you mind to put that smoke out and never have another one. or are you weak and give into your mind easy?"

He more or less dared him to stop. He questioned him as a person to have the strength to stop. And my dad I suppose being the pig headed male (like me) that he is. Took that challenge head on and never had another one.

So SINGLE, are you strong enough to overcome it. To not give in to your urges and be weak and have that smoke you want so badly. Or are you strong, determined and willing enough to take control of your mind and make the decision now to never have another cigarette?
    Im sure you are! Its up to you now. No excuses though!
    wanger Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 05:41 AM
    I don't know what it is called, but there is a shot to stop smoking now. I heard it advertised on the radio one day last week and they said they guarantee you to stop smoking. I don't know what the cost was, but I am a smoking and no matter what the cost I am going to check into it when I hear that add again. I am 51 and I smoked for 26 years and quit for 7 and started back as a weight control. It worked for a bit, but I am beginning to start to creep back up now and I feel I need to do something before too long. If I hear that add again I will contact you and give you the info, k.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

"smoking after idle" 1982 Honda Civic w/ great compression [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a 1982 Honda Civic Wagon, 185 k miles, religious oil changes (per service records). It's due for timing belt. Car sat for 3 years without bieng started, I have installed a new (rebuilt) carb and EGR valve (restrictor on EGR valve not installed... ), also new plugs, wires,...

Heater blows cold when "On", not at all on "Auto" [ 1 Answers ]

Our gas heater is 7 years old, and has worked fine in the two years we've rented here. This winter though, we can't get it to work consistently. When on "Auto", it doesn't turn on at all, no matter what temperature we select, and when we turn the fan to "On", it simply blows cold air. It...

American television series called "Now & Again" [ 2 Answers ]

I used to watch an american TV series called "Now & Again" with Eric Close,it was shown on granada at about 10.30/11.00pm but has not been screened for some time,I missed the start of the series and would like to see that plus the complete series,could anyone tell me if I can get this on video/dvd?...

View more questions Search