Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    winkaaa6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 07:38 PM
    Tail Lights not working on my 2001 vw passat sedan
    I have a 2001 vw v6 passat sedan, and the tail lights have quit working. The rear turn signals, brake lights all work, everything except the tail lights. We were told that it could be a bad brake light switch, but the brakes work. Also, the dash lights work and headlights work when you start the car. Please help.:mad:
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2010, 08:23 PM

Brake switch should have no effect, I would suspect a fuse, and should be fed from Headlight switch.
    Did tail light use to go on when engine started?
    winkaaa6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Brake switch should have no effect, I would suspect a fuse, and should be fed from Headlight switch.
    Did tail light use to go on when engine started?
    Yes, the tail lights used to come on when you started the car. We have checked fuses under the dash and they are all good. We also checked the bulbs and they are good.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 05:34 AM

. Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Be very thorough, since it will save a lot of time and money. Visual inspections are not good enough--they don't test for power through the fuse.

. Test for power to the tail light connectors, by probing with a test light or multimeter, while the light switch is ON.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2010, 05:34 AM

A schematic will help now, May be supplied power from the Headlight relay? If not I would suspect another relay?
    What worked when you did the 4 way flashers?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tail light, dashboard lights, gear lights not working [ 11 Answers ]

My dashboard , tail lights are not working anymore and I can't figure out why. I gave my car to one of the mechanic and he could'nt figure it out as well. There was a tingy smell coming out of the car after lights went out as if something in the car got fried. Moreover, now he says that whenever he...

Tail lights not working [ 8 Answers ]

My 96 sonomas tail lights won't work with the headlights on,but the brake lights do.also my turn signal on the drivers rear works but the passenger rear when used makes the left one come on in a "hazzard"style. I also have no backup lights.I have replaced all bulbs and don't know what else to try....

Tail Lights, Dash and Gear Lights not working (91 Ford Laser) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I hope someone here can help. My tail / dash / gear lights are not functioning. My brake and headlights are fine. I have done a little research on a few sites and found out that all 3 are connected to the same fuse, so I checked my fuses. But they look fine (kept reading about how to go...

92 Civic tail lights not working [ 1 Answers ]

My 92 Civic's tail lights are not working. It blows fuses constantly. New lenses were put in before I bought it which might be the problem or perhaps this is a common problem with them. Any ideas?

View more questions Search