Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margie307 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2010, 12:11 PM
    US Govt confiscated money bank acct
    My two granddaughters had almost $1000 in the bank after the death of their mother.
    Because of inactivity on this account, the US govt confiscated this money.
    Surely this money earned interest and was therefor "active" on a regular basis though money had not been added or withdrawn.
    How do I get it back to my two minor granddaughters ages 12 and 8?
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jan 5, 2010, 02:22 PM

You need to explain a little more. You said that the US gov. confisicated because of inactivity? I know banks close accounts because of inactivity so I don't understand what you mean. Was your daughter an american?

Jan 6, 2010, 01:15 PM
    There is no question as to citiizenship. That has nothing to do withthis problem.
    The banker said the "govt took the moneyout of the account because of inactivity...." Thius "inactivity" was over a few years.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jan 6, 2010, 04:40 PM

Something still does not sound right.
    Were you not getting banking statements each month? Are you their legal guardian?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 6, 2010, 04:48 PM

This falls under escheat laws. When accounts fall inactive for a period the bank has to make an attempt to contact the account owners. This includes sending letters to the last known address and posting notice in a local newspaper. If these notices are ignored then the bank is required to turn the balances over to the government.

The government keeps records of these accounts and, if the owner comes forward, they are required to turn over the escheated balance, but it stops earning interest at the point it was escheated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 06:04 PM

Yes, the bank should be able to provide you the info needed to claim the account

Jan 7, 2010, 10:26 AM
    Thank you so much for your information.
    You know exactly what I am talking about.
    The man @ the bank didn't even offer to help in this situation.
    I guess one has to go higher up to get answers and find out what forms etc... need to be filled out to reclaimthis money.
    We will recontact the bank in question. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    This falls under escheat laws. When accounts fall inactive for a period of time the bank has to make an attempt to contact the account owners. This includes sending letters to the last known address and posting notice in a local newspaper. If these notices are ignored then the bank is required to turn the balances over to the government.

The government keeps records of these accounts and, if the owner comes forward, they are required to turn over the escheated balance, but it stops earning interest at the point it was escheated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2010, 01:27 PM

Keep us posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen bank acct [ 5 Answers ]

My bank acct was frozen by a debt collector but I don't have the money to pay it off now, the debt collector told me I could make a payment arrangement with them but my unemployment check is not enough for me to start paying off my debt and he told me there's interest building on the debt everyday...

Bank Acct. Garnishment, can they go in again ? [ 6 Answers ]

We have a judgement against us from a Credit Card Company isssued July 2007. The amount of the judgement was $10,500, plus cost and 8% interest until debt was paid. Long story but we used the card to pay for medical cost not covered by insurance for our son who had two surgeries. Today, I received...

Social Security Disability check confiscated at the bank [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Nevada and collect Social Security Disability. I received a Grant check in the mail for $500.00. I took the check to my bank and asked them if they could tell me if it was good. They made a phone call and came back and told me it was good. I then cashed the check and received the...

How do I get judement on his bank acct [ 1 Answers ]

I wrote about taking the guy back to court and you said frank that I could garnish his wages or bank acct but he do not week and owes a trailer park and he add his friend on the trailer park but I know he got a bank acct how do I go about getting papers served on his acct?

View more questions Search