Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbara sobczak Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 09:59 PM
    Phrases what does what for? Mean
    What does what for mean, when it is said quickly. Is it mean the person is jealous of what you want? Like when I said that I wanted to buy a house in poland and my cousins husband answered quick as a flash "What For" does it mean "no" don't do it stop I don't want you to do it or what.

Jan 4, 2010, 10:00 PM

Please give me an answer to my Question that I just asked a minute ago
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jan 4, 2010, 10:28 PM

Wow, you're impatient. Everyone on here VOLUNTEERS their time. Sometimes it takes hour, or even days, to get to some questions. Try to have a little patience in the future.

Now, to try to answer your question; my guess is that he was just surprised. He couldn't think what you could possibly need a house in poland for.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2010, 05:50 AM

What does it mean when someone asks 'what for?', which is a version of asking 'why?'. Seems a reasonable question to find out why you have that desire. It's not a difficult question, unless you don't have an answer.

Is there a reason to read into the response for more meaning?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2010, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by barbara sobczak View Post
    Um... we have things like a life that occupy our time so be patient until someone answers.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2010, 06:23 AM
    Why isn't Barbara answering??
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2010, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    What does it mean when someone asks 'what for?', which is a version of asking 'why?'. Seems a reasonable question to find out why you have that desire. It's not a difficult question, unless you don"t have an answer.

Is there a reason to read into the response for more meaning?
    Please give me an answer to my question that I asked, nearly TWO HOURS ago, barbara, geesh.

Jan 7, 2010, 04:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    Please give me an answer to my question that I asked, nearly TWO HOURS ago, barbara, geesh.
    He should have not been surprised when I asked him that I want to buy a house in Poland. My parents are polish and my first language is polish and my surname is polish and my daughter is polish and 100% of my relatives live in poland. I have no family or ralatives in Australia. I am here alone. If I had christmas in poland it would have been a big family gathering. I have a house in Australia without a mortgage and I have money in the bank to buy another one if I like. I do not have a husband so there is nothing keeping me here. When I went to poland to visit my relatives my cousins husband treats my like a tourist visiting Poland.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2010, 04:45 AM

It is just a simple question and I think you are blowing it all out of proportion.
    All you had to do was explain your reason as you did here.
    Maybe he was just making polite conversation.

Jan 7, 2010, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    wow, you're impatient. everyone on here VOLUNTEERS their time. sometimes it takes hour, or even days, to get to some questions. try to have a little patience in the future.

now, to try to answer your question; my guess is that he was just surprised. he couldn't think what you could possibly need a house in poland for.
    Sorry I am new to this, and I thought it works like mns on the mobile or windows live messenger or something like that now that you have explained it to me I do understand and would like to apoligise. Sorry.

Jan 7, 2010, 04:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by barbara sobczak View Post
    Sorry. I will be more understanding in the future

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Algebraic phrases [ 3 Answers ]

The product of a number and 2 is 20 less than the product of the number and -3 What is the number?? :confused:

Verb Phrases [ 1 Answers ]

Forms of verb phrases involve the following concepts. Explain and give examples of the following. 1.Futurity 2.Aspect (there are two) 3.Conditional 4.Voice

Phrases words [ 2 Answers ]

What does pandora box mean

Some new Russian phrases [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't taken any Russian classes, yet. But I have been doing some online studies, and have a Russian friend who has taught me much. I know the alphabet and how to read cyrillic, just not what it all means! Anyway, I know the basic phrases (i.e. da, nyet, privet, da svidanya, spasibo,...

Explain these phrases [ 6 Answers ]

1. To lose the glory of from 2. To forego the wreath 3. Sunset glow 4. Golden Days Decline 5. Hot prison of the present

View more questions Search